VMware Communities
wiredupj
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Pro 17 - not all VMs showing in AutoStart

Dear VMWare Community,

For some reason, when I attempt to start my Windows 11 VM to "AutoStart" it doesn't appear in the list though my other VM does.

Any thoughts this may be?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

We can't discuss a Mac VM here - it is a violation of Apple's licensing to run their OS on non-Apple hardware.  VMware could get into legal trouble.  Also, the only way of even attempting to run MacOS on Workstation is to illegally modify it... so you've come to a vendor's site admitting you hacked their software and are asking for help with it...!

0 Kudos
wiredupj
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not asking for help on MacOS. I'm asking why my Windows workstation isn't appearing in the list. 

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Perhaps it has something to do with the modifications you made to Workstation?

Perhaps it has something to do with the encryption required for Win 11 VMs?

0 Kudos
wiredupj
Contributor
Contributor

Ahh, it's probably the encryption for Windows. Are there workarounds?

0 Kudos
gecc
Contributor
Contributor

it seems to only show vms in the "My Computer" root folder. Any VMs in a subfolder wont show up for some reason.

0 Kudos
SajeshR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Autostart feature does not support Encrypted VM. 

Probably, Your Windows 11 VM is encrypted. That's why not showing in Autostart.

Thanks,
Sajesh

0 Kudos
wiredupj
Contributor
Contributor

I disabled TPM; is there a way to unencrypt?

0 Kudos
sancona
Contributor
Contributor

Are you sure the issue is related to encryption, etc? You can check VM encryption by right clicking on the VM itself, then entering Settings > Advanced > Access Control.

I came across a very similar issue today, but the problem was that the problem VMs were stored in a subdirectory of my primary VM folder. It seems the autostart feature only works out of the basedir.

0 Kudos
wiredupj
Contributor
Contributor

It is encrypted - that's the problem and won't give me the option b/c of TPM. I removed TPM but still don't have the decrypt option (Windows 11).

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
SajeshR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Windows 11 VM as a default -- Encrypted and TPM added. 
So, to reflect in Autostart for any VM - The VM should be unencrypted 

Steps - Go to VM -->Settings --> Options --> Access Control --> Remove Encryption (If this button is disabled still, a message appears, if any snapshot exists, remove it) 

0 Kudos