VMware Communities
toinoux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to start the virtual machine for every VMs

Hello ! 
I just had a recent issue with my vmWare Workstation, which is that I can't start any VM. This hasn't happened before, and I tried a lot of solutions that appeared on this forum, but nothing can solve it. I already tried the suggestions that seemed to describe my problem here,but it didn't work for me.

I tried disabling  Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI, enabling it again, disabling Hyper-V, Memory integration, putting it in rice...

The attached log files don't really helped me out, but these lines caught my attention :

Msg_Question:
[msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion] Virtualized AMD-V/RVI is not supported on this platform.
Continue without virtualized AMD-V/RVI?
----------------------------------------
Using builtin default '_No' as the answer for 'msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion'
MsgQuestion: msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion reply=1
Module 'CPUID' power on failed.

Looking for your help, thank you in advance ! 

PS : I'm running Windows 11 Insider Preview 25357.1 (zn_release)

I don't know what I code but sometimes it works....
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your vmware.log file indicates you're still running on Hyper-V. You haven't completely disabled it.

Yet another instance of a Canary channel build breaking Workstation.

The only help that I can give (and what VMware will probably tell you): Run a GA channel build and see if it fixes the issue.

Why are you running such an early alpha-quality, unstable release of Windows and expecting everything to run fine? I hope you've given feedback to Microsoft that they've done something in their development releases that breaks production applications.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your vmware.log file indicates you're still running on Hyper-V. You haven't completely disabled it.

Yet another instance of a Canary channel build breaking Workstation.

The only help that I can give (and what VMware will probably tell you): Run a GA channel build and see if it fixes the issue.

Why are you running such an early alpha-quality, unstable release of Windows and expecting everything to run fine? I hope you've given feedback to Microsoft that they've done something in their development releases that breaks production applications.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
toinoux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I re-enabled it after testing if it was causing the problem, but no, it don't seem that Hyper-V is the problem.
I think you are right and it is probably the Windows version that is causing the issue. I did send a feedback to Microsoft about this problem, as some other issues (that is why I am running the early-alpha ahah).

I never heard about this GA channel build, I'll try to find some information about it.

Thank you very much for your answer, I'll keep this discussion open to write down if the GA channel build fixes the issue.

I don't know what I code but sometimes it works....
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The GA build is what you get when you install a non-insider preview ISO from Microsoft. It’s the officially released version. The current Windows 11 22H2 build you’ll get as an ISO from Microsoft at https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11 is 22621.1702. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)