VMware Communities
nikkilocke
Contributor
Contributor

VMs will not start since kernel upgrade

On Friday my 64-bit CentOS host downloaded a new kernel 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 - the existing kernel was 2.6.18-164.10.1.el5.

When I started VMWare Workstation, I got a dialog saying it was installing new modules into the kernel, which seemed to go OK.

However, any attempt to start a VM results in the console window going black, followed eventually with either going back to the home window, or VMWare workstation hanging.

Is there a known incompatibility, or is there something I can do to make VMWare Workstation work with the new kernel?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
nikkilocke
Contributor
Contributor

Please help - this is a major problem.

0 Kudos
Morinack
Contributor
Contributor

Hi nikkilocke,

I am running the 64bit ver of Fedora 11 and had a similar problem.

I had to yum the linux-kernel-headers and linux-kernel-devel to resolve the issue.

Not sure if it applies, as I am unfamiliar with CentOS.

I believe it was the devel pkg that made the difference in the end.

Good Luck,

Brian

0 Kudos
nikkilocke
Contributor
Contributor

They are already installed:

# yum install kernel-headers kernel-devel

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror

Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

• addons: mirror.bytemark.co.uk

• base: mirror.bytemark.co.uk

• extras: mirror.bytemark.co.uk

• updates: mirror.bytemark.co.uk

Setting up Install Process

Package kernel-headers-2.6.18-164.11.1.el5.x86_64 already installed and latest version

Package kernel-devel-2.6.18-164.11.1.el5.x86_64 already installed and latest version

Nothing to do

0 Kudos
nikkilocke
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I have waited and waited, and still no answer.

I take it no VMWare staff inhabit these forums?

Or, that if they do, they are not interested in making another sale?

<wanders off, in a big huff, to look at competing products>

0 Kudos
dba98
Contributor
Contributor

You can select a kernel that worked.

As root:

vi /etc/grub.conf

change "default=0" to "default=1" (assuming the next to most recent kernel worked).

Reboot.

0 Kudos
nikkilocke
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I can use an out of date kernel, maybe with a critical security problem. But it is hardly a good solution to the problem.

0 Kudos
nikkilocke
Contributor
Contributor

When I returned from holiday, I registered my copy of Workstation, and put in a support call.

After a certain amount of to-ing and fro-ing (vmware was not acknowledging receipt of my emails), and various tests spread over a few days, the support technician suggested turning off "Accelerate 3D Graphics", which allowed me to start a VM.

This gave me a clue, so I reinstalled the ATI proprietary graphics drivers (my card will not work properly in dual monitor mode without the proprietary drivers), then rebooted. Now I am able to run VMs, even with "Accelerate 3D Graphics" turned on.

I deduce that the ATI driver does something to the kernel, which needs redoing when a new kernel is downloaded.

Thought I would post the solution in here, because it seems unlikely that any VMWare personnel will bother to do so!

0 Kudos