VMware Communities
foster29
Contributor
Contributor

Erratic network adapter behavior with windows 2008 64x - any help is appreciated.

Hello all,

I'm building a win 2008 64x base image for my department. Currently the VM is running on Workstation 6 but as a Workstation 5 VM. ( i have not upgraded the VM) as it stands the VM functions properly, i can RDP into the vm and have web/network access.

However as soon as i upgrade the VM to Workstation 6 my networking issues begin. Upon upgrading the VM and tools my Local area connection # 2 looses it's entries, i.e, IP, DNS, etc. When i attempt to reset it I recieve the following message- see screenshot for full details:

"The IP addresses xxxxxxxxx you have entered for this network adapter is already assigned to another adapter (INTEL R PRO/1000MT network connection) which is no longer present in the computer. If i continue to re enter my network values and save the settings, my DNS client stops working immediatly.

I've attached screenshots of both the error message and what my Device manager currently looks like.

Any help with this issue is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

pete

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

1. 2 looses it's entries, i.e, IP, DNS, etc. When i attempt to reset it I recieve the following message- see screenshot for full details:

This is normal, ANY hardware change will LOSE existing settings. It's always been this way. You change a NIC, a Driver, or Device and the settings WILL change.

This is why you should put this info in your DHCP scope, so you don't need to set IP, DNS static on the NIC.

Also you should FIRST remove the adapter, then upgrade the machine, then let Windows detect new hardware. If you install the VM tools in a VM, and let the drivers update as well, this will help. Then reboot after it's done, and it should be fine.

foster29
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, so i just ran through those steps and here are the results:

I no longer receive the error message regarding the IP address and duplicate adapter. I was able to enter my network values without error. However immediatley after entering my network settings the DNS client stops working. The machine can access the web no problem, however without the DNS client running my RDP connections will not work.

see error message and details in attached screenshot.

thanks again,

pete

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

99.99% of these problems can be solved by routine registry health check. Try cc-cleaner or registry mechanic, they work well.

That service is dying, which is not normal, so that means there is something corrupted in the registry. every Windows server or workstation has this problem, so there isn't anything you can do about, but cleaning / maintaining the registry at minimum weekly will fix it. You can't prevent it, but you can repair it, and the more often you repair the less chance of prolonged errors.

0 Kudos
foster29
Contributor
Contributor

still no luck, the problem only happens when the VM is upgraded to Workstation 6 machine, as a Workstation 5 image this is a non issue.......

0 Kudos
foster29
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

i resolved the issue.. I needed to uncheck "register this connection" see screenshot for full details.

0 Kudos