VMware Communities
AlfieButler
Contributor
Contributor

VM getting weird IP

Hi,

My VM is getting an IP of 172.20.167.247 even though its set to a Brigded network and the DHCP server is handing out the IP of 10.163.16.x 

Its not the only VM that its doing this to, ive reinstalled VMware Workstation 17 but its not fixed this

I don't know how but it still has internet, I can ping Google and load webpages, but it's not on the range. the only thing in the Virtual Network Editor is

Name           Type              External Connection        Host Connection               DHCP            Subnet Address

VMnet0        Bridged         Auto-bridging                            -                                   -                           -

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

That sounds like an address in the NAT or host-only range.  When you run the Virtual Network Editor, are you launching it as Admin?  You may want to restore defaults in the VNE.  Also, if you have more than one physical NIC, don't use auto-bridging, but specify a specific NIC for VMnet0, and assign any others to other unused VMnets (2-7,9).

0 Kudos
AlfieButler
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for replying. when I open VNE you have to open as admin otherwise you cannot edit anything, Im running this off a gaming laptop, only 1 NIC. I thought it might be using my wifi somehow so I disabled, restored to defaults many times, and even tried uninstalling VMware and re-installing it. all I get is this IP and it's not just this one VM, I've also got a test Win 11 that gets that IP, and Ubuntu server that gets the same IP...?

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

My guess would be that you have another DHCP server on the LAN or in one of your VM's. Do you have your one router(s) or just the ISP's router?

The gateway address should give you a clue. Looks like you are running Kali. You can also right click on the network icon (upper right) and get connection info.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

BTW: My router will hand out IP's in the wireless range if no IP's are available in the wired ranges. 

0 Kudos