VMware Communities
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VM Tabs in Workstation window should display running VMs more deliberately

I'm currently having 7 VMs listed in Workstation.

Except for the small green rectangle they all look the same, no matter if they are running or not.

This is rather confusing when I want to shut down Workstation because I didn't recognize that other VMs are still running. Perhaps it's because I'm getting old, but when I've finished some task in a VM and want to shut down, I lack concentrating on Workstations peculiarities like small green rectangles.

So, please either add an option in the Options dialog to allow the user to set or hard code different tab background/text colors for different VM conditions.

I, for instance, want to highlight running VMs in lime green (#32CD32), paused VMs in Peru (#CD853F) and offline VMs transparent (just like all VM tabs are displayed today):

VMColors.png

Please, give some more intuitive feedback to the user on the current state of the listed VMs.

[VMware]: Workstation 17 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the club
So you notice the bad effects of the new skin for productivity with just 7 VMs already ?
With 50 - 70 VMs in the list it gets really anoying - it only looks good at first sight ...

Hope that this new look does not make it into the Linux version - the old icons work much better and there was no need to change them IMHO.

0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ah, I see ... So they changed the visuals for the new Workstation version?

I frankly can't remember what the previous design was. But you're right, I never ran into this trouble before.

So, I absolutely agree, if the previous visuals had been more informative, I'd vote for returning to those previous visuals, too.

UX rule of truth: The intention of UI elements is not to be appelling - the intention of UI elements is to provide immediate and quick state information, even when watched through parchment paper (= visual gloves).

[VMware]: Workstation 17 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
0 Kudos