VMware Communities
Maks7594
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unrecoverable error when restarting or suspending the virtual machine

When I restart/reset or suspend a virtual machine, any VM not just the one showed in the SS, it gives me error vcpu-0

Exception 0xc0000005 (access violation)
I'm using Windows 11 22H2 (64-bit), the same happened with 22H1.
It said I can send the vmware.log file here, so I did.
Any help would be appreciated.

Maks7594_1-1666451290366.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Two additional points of interest.

1. You're running Workstation 16.0.0 instead of the latest 16.2.4.

2. Your log file has this line:

2022-10-22T17:02:19.636+02:00| vmx| I005: Monitor Mode: ULM

There can be reasons to keep it like that (see the KB article below), but it is also known for causing issues.

monitor mode ULM

means that you are running in User Level Mode and thus Workstation cannot use VMware's hypervisor, but instead it has to go through the Hypervisor API that Microsoft provides.

Only when Monitor mode returns CPL0 it is running in ring 0, a.k.a. no hypervisor.

Monitor mode CPL0 (Current Privilege Level 0) is required for VMware Workstation to be able to use their own hypervisor.

See also:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/MikroTik-RouterOS-boot-speed-is-drastically...

In order to turn off ULM/Hyper-V mode, run the following command at the host in windows command-line with Administrator privileges:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Reboot the system to activate your changes.

If you want to go back to Hyper-V mode again, then you can enable it like this:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

See also:

Note that you also might have to disable Memory Integrity.

Windows Security -> Device Security -> Core Isolation details

Don't forget to reboot the host after making any of these changes.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Maks7594
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After resetting it gives me error Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken. (resetting, not restarting the VM)

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

First things first - REMOVE that VM from OneDrive!  Having your virtual machines stored on a disk backed up by OneDrive WILL result sooner or later in a corrupted VM.

Make sure after you move the VM folder to a different location on your hard drive that you have all the files and none are partial.

0 Kudos
Maks7594
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I already deleted Onedrive and i cant redirect the onedrive documents folder to the one in my user folder.
aka Onedrive doesn't exist there.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Two additional points of interest.

1. You're running Workstation 16.0.0 instead of the latest 16.2.4.

2. Your log file has this line:

2022-10-22T17:02:19.636+02:00| vmx| I005: Monitor Mode: ULM

There can be reasons to keep it like that (see the KB article below), but it is also known for causing issues.

monitor mode ULM

means that you are running in User Level Mode and thus Workstation cannot use VMware's hypervisor, but instead it has to go through the Hypervisor API that Microsoft provides.

Only when Monitor mode returns CPL0 it is running in ring 0, a.k.a. no hypervisor.

Monitor mode CPL0 (Current Privilege Level 0) is required for VMware Workstation to be able to use their own hypervisor.

See also:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/MikroTik-RouterOS-boot-speed-is-drastically...

In order to turn off ULM/Hyper-V mode, run the following command at the host in windows command-line with Administrator privileges:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Reboot the system to activate your changes.

If you want to go back to Hyper-V mode again, then you can enable it like this:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

See also:

Note that you also might have to disable Memory Integrity.

Windows Security -> Device Security -> Core Isolation details

Don't forget to reboot the host after making any of these changes.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Maks7594
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Memory Integrity is already disabled. However I will try disabling Hyper-V mode later. Thanks!

0 Kudos