VMware Communities
Tetley
Contributor
Contributor

Unknown error: 0x800401f3

Just upgraded to VMware Workstation 6.0.3 ACE Edition on my Vista Ultimate 64 bit PC. Now the workstation doesn't display properly, the VMs won't start and attempting to create a new VM results in the error message: Unable to create a new virtual machine "Unknown error: 0x800401f3":

Google is not a lot of help.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ahtoj
Contributor
Contributor

Same probleme here, Vista 64bit enterprise. Unable to create a new virtual machine "Unknown error: 0x800401f3". version 6.0.3 build 80004. Help please!

0 Kudos
bal3wolf
Contributor
Contributor

I have same error also amd vmware server 2.0 no longer works now to.

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

What type of guest are you trying to run?

I've got a Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 install, with Workstation 6.0.3, and haven't had this issue...

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of the upcoming book, Essential VMware ESX

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
bal3wolf
Contributor
Contributor

You cant even run a guest it wont do crap cant open a vm or even start a new one. Btw it stays screwed up even if you uninstall it and try a older verson also tried vmware server 2.0 its messed up now also.

0 Kudos
Tetley
Contributor
Contributor

Reverting to a prior version didn't help in my case either. Eventually I noticed that I'd left restore points on so I was able to restore to a point before upgrading, That worked. In the meantime I'm not going to upgrade.

As for what guests exhibit the problem after the upgrade? ALL OF THEM.

OpenSuSE 10.3, Ubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu 8.04, Kubuntu 7.10, Kubuntu 8.04, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional.

Persoanlly, I don't think it's the guests, since Workstation doesn't start up correctly after the upgrade.

0 Kudos
bal3wolf
Contributor
Contributor

Ya i dont have a restore point so im screwed unless theirs a fix or i reinstall windows.

0 Kudos
Tetley
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to bal3wolf, you can see the problem in the May 15 post with the screen shot. Ignore the foreground error message and look at the VMware Workstation window. You'll see quite clearly that it's not displaying correctly. That's the first problem. when I saw that after the upgrade I knew something was screwed up without having to go any further. The subsequent error message(s) just proved the point.

0 Kudos
fuego96
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting the exact same problem with my VMWare Workstation 6.0.3 and 6.0.4 (the new release). I even downloaded the 6.5 beta and still got the same result on my Vista Ultimate x64 (AMD). As with the original poster, VMWare Player works just fine. I had uninstalled with Add / Remove program successfully and still ran the VMWare_Install_Cleaner utility without problems.

The only thing I did different was that prior to Vista SP1 my 6.0.2 worked just fine. Then I updated to SP1. Then I thought I'd update to VMWare Workstation 6.0.3 but then got the problem. Uninstalled, cleaned, then installed 6.0.4 and still got the problem. Then uninstalled, cleaned, then installed 6.5 beta and still got the same problem. And I performed reboots between installs.

EDIT: I probably didn't do a VMWare_Install_Cleaner before installing 6.5 because, after doing so, not only did the installation looked better in Process Monitor, Vista asked if I wanted to trust a couple of VMWare components (forgot which ones). After a reboot, it worked fine. Strangely, I wanted to check out the vminst.log but procmon said it was being written in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\...vminst.log, which, I still couldn't find. Even when searching the entire c: drive.

Once again, just to say, the 6.5 beta worked.

EDIT2: For those not in the know. VMWare Workstation 6.5 beta runs in debug mode which can never be switched off (probably means a debug build). This also means that performance will be substantially slower than release versions. Also the VMWare Tools for windows guest OSes will need to be updated. So if you can deal with that, then by all means, use the beta.

0 Kudos
truecrimson
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem. I did a complete uninstall (including registry keys, settings, etc..) and then reinstalled 6.0.3 and 6.0.4 and it still is not working.

I am using Vista (x64) with an AMD processor.

0 Kudos
fuego96
Contributor
Contributor

I think it quite a fact by now since a lot of folks here with Vista are having the exact same problem. However, do note in my previous EDITs that the current solution is to use the VMWare Workstation 6.5 Beta -- just sign up for it.

6.5 runs just fine. It is a little slow with file access but on the whole, it's a good workaround (I'm finding it rather stable at the moment) and you can create VMs of version 6 (and below) as well as version 6.5. I use Vista x64 (AMD) at home and Windows 2003 server in the office. But I carry a 500gb external hard disk between places to do VS6 and VS2005 programming in a single VM environment. The VMWare Workstation in the office is version 6.0.2.

So, I now open my existing version 6 VMs in version 6.5 beta. No problems whatsoever.

I also went ahead and updated to the latest VMWare Tools provided by 6.5 Beta and they seemed to work fine even in VMWW 6.0.4.

So, right now, I didn't have to miss or delay any developments. Hope they release 6.5 soon though (non debug build).

0 Kudos
truecrimson
Contributor
Contributor

As a test, I uninstalled Service Pack 1 from Vista and then reinstalled VMWare Workstation. Everything is working now.

0 Kudos