VMware Communities
ATLGator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to open file .vmdk. One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot.

Hello Andre,

I am having the same issue. My computer was re-imaged recently and my drive letter was changed from D to E. By the time I read this post I had already try multiple other solutions and now I keep getting the following message

pastedImage_0.png

Do you think you can help me access this Image again. It is very urgent that I open it and recover the files in it.

Thank  you,

JC

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The virtual disk (.vmdk) file is mapped to two different SCSI controller ports!?

Please delete all four "scsi0:1" entries from the configuration file.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

at least we can try to see what can be done.

As a first step, please provide an overview of the VM's files, i.e. post the output of dir *.* /one from the VM's folder.

André

Moderator Note: I created a separated thread from your reply to another one.

0 Kudos
ATLGator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your quick reply.

Here is an overview of the files

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you did not already backup of the VM's folder/files, I'd recommend you do it now to have a way back in case it's necessary.

According to the files, the VM has been suspended at some point in time. What you may do is to delete the .vmss, and the .vmem files, and see whether this already solves the issue. Note that deleting these files is like pulling the power plug from a physical system.

If this doesn't help, then please attach the VM's configuration (.vmx) file to a repy post.

André

0 Kudos
ATLGator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Created a few back ups already. I deleted the .vmss and the .vmem files. I still get the same error message "One of the disks in this virtual machine..."

Per your request, I have attached the .vmx file.

JC

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The virtual disk (.vmdk) file is mapped to two different SCSI controller ports!?

Please delete all four "scsi0:1" entries from the configuration file.

André

0 Kudos
ATLGator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fixed!! Thank you so much. I cannot express how thankful I am and the amount of work it was just recovered.

Thank you!,

JC

0 Kudos