VMware Communities
mdurakovich
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to connect USB device X to the virtual machine (error code 4)

I recently started getting this error on a VM that had no issues before. I have searched for a solution in vain. I have updated to the latest version of Workstation, but this has not had any effect.

Log attached with an example.

Solutions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You always MUST unmount USB-storage devices first before you assign them to a VM.

If this worked for you before you just had good luck.

Anyway - next thing to try is to rollback the USB-root-hub drivers of the Vista-host to MS-original drivers.

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi and welcome

Do you unmount the "LaCie USB Mass Storage Device" before you try to use it with a VM ?

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
mdurakovich
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

>> Do you unmount the "LaCie USB Mass Storage Device" before you try to use

it with a VM ?

No. This is a Vista host and XP guest, and unmounting has never been required before. And it is not just the La Cie, it is any device I plug into it: 2 different thumb drives, a microphone/headset, an external media reader... And it doesn't matter what USB port on the host I plug it into.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You always MUST unmount USB-storage devices first before you assign them to a VM.

If this worked for you before you just had good luck.

Anyway - next thing to try is to rollback the USB-root-hub drivers of the Vista-host to MS-original drivers.

0 Kudos
mdurakovich
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

>> Anyway - next thing to try is to rollback the USB-root-hub drivers of

the Vista-host to MS-original drivers.

Yep, that did it. The USB-root-hub's had drivers from a cellphoen software I had installed (on the Vista machine anyway). I rolled them back to the MS versions, rebooted, and tha did it. Thanks.

Hopefully it will be a similar fix on the XP host/XP guest where the same thing is happening.

Kudos, and muchas gracias!

0 Kudos