VMware Communities
josber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to change virtual machine power state: Cannot... (VMWare Workstation 7 on Debian Lenny)

Hi all, I'm new at this community. I've recently installed VMWare Workstation 7 on a Debian Lenny (Kernel 2.6.26.2-amd64). I've had not any problem with it, but when I tried to start a Windows Vista Virtual Machine, which I've created, doesn't start. The error windows says "Unable to change virtual machine power state: Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to". Any idea, please?

Josber.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

looks like the VM was suspended when your host used a different screen resolution

either change back to the resolution you used when you suspenmded the VM or delete the vmss file.

This will force the VM to do a fresh boot

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

looks like the VM was suspended when your host used a different screen resolution

either change back to the resolution you used when you suspenmded the VM or delete the vmss file.

This will force the VM to do a fresh boot

0 Kudos
josber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your response Continnum, but Display Devices is in Auto, anyway, I changed it to 1024x780, when my host is on 1280x800 and the error is there again. I tried to create another VM but the error remains. I googled my error on Internet and I saw it's very common, but any posted solution was able correct it. i've attatched a vmware.log file, may be it can be helpful.

Thanks again.

Josber

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Josber - why did you mark this as answered ???

your issue had nothing to do with what I thought and now as it is marked as answered you will not get more replies

search for this

Panic: dropping lock (was bug 49968)

Loop on signal 11 -- tid 6431 at 0x7fa479c771af.

I have seen a post to this recently http://communities.vmware.com/message/1408391#1408391

0 Kudos
josber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes Continnum, it's true, and that was a bit mistake of mine. My daugther 3 years old, took and picked with the mouse that button. I'm really sorry for that. May be I need open again the same problem, it´s right?. Please let me known if it's like that.

P.D.1: I'll start looking for "Panic: gropping lock (was bug 49968)..."

P.D.2: Thanks for resend another post, with the same problem, to this mine.

Josber

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi - its not a must - but many folks here are just fishing for reward-points and when they see a post already marked as solved they loose interest.

0 Kudos
josber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi again Continuum, I've solved my problem and the answer was pointed with your previous answer as you thought. It was not by the display resolution but 3D acceleration checked, was guilty. Thanks and the problem was solved.

josber

0 Kudos