safo2000
Contributor
Contributor

USB modem with VM workstation 10

Hello,

I purchased a USB 56K fax modem.

Tested it on the host PC (Windows 7x64), worked fine

The VM (XP SP3) saw the modem.

When I tested it, there was a dial up, the connection "sounds" were there but unable to complete hand shake, where at the end it resulted in the error

" error 678: the remote computer did not respond"

I don't know if i was able to convey the situation at hand.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Is the USB modem compatible with Windows XP?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
safo2000
Contributor
Contributor

yes, i just tested it with a separate host XP SP3 and it is working fine

0 Kudos
safo2000
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody has used a modem with VM,

0 Kudos
theInformant
Contributor
Contributor

Might be late, but I wanted to report that after a lot of toiling, I successfully used a modem on VMWare Workstation 10.

The modem is a Rosewill RNX-56USB (Amazon.com: Rosewill 56 Kbps USB Plug and Play Modem (RNX-56USB): Computers & Accessories)

It presents itself as a Conexant USB CX93010 ACF Modem (I think it is using their chipset)

Here are a few things I did.

1. Moved the modem to a USB 2.0 port (Never worked on USB 3.0 Port)
  2. Set my hardware compatibility to VMWARE 10
  3. VM -> Removeable Devices ->Conexant USB Modem -> Connect (Disconnect from Host).
  4. On the VM (Goto Device Manager and Scan for hardware changes)
  5. Modem drivers auto installed.

I have been able to use it to receive faxes, so I'm sure it's working.

I think the key is steps 3 and 4.

0 Kudos
theInformant
Contributor
Contributor

Spoke too soon. Even though this works.

I've now noticed a big issue with the way VMWare Workstation works with USB.

After a while, it will disconnect the USB Modem Device from the VM.

Further more, you won't be able to reconnect the USB Device (Error message, this device is already connected to a VM).

The only way out is to disconnect the device from the USB Port and reconnect it again.

Looking at the Device manager on the Host, I can see a VMWare USB Device on the list (For the Modem). Disconnect the physical modem and this device is then released.

Reconnect the USB Modem and then attempt to reconnect again and then it works.

But for some reason, it will disconnect the device back to the host within the hour. (I don't know if it is a power down on the USB device or something that forces it to get disconnected from the VM)

Someone from VMWare Please explain what is going on, why would a USB device that I've connected (disconnected from host), suddenly return back to the host after an hour?

0 Kudos