VMware Communities
theInformant
Contributor
Contributor

USB Device disconnects from VMWare Workstation 10 after a while

I have a modem that connects to the host and running VMWare Workstation 10.

I can claim the USB Modem Device via the the menu Removable Devices -> disconnect from host feature.

It connects fine and works fine while I'm using the machine.

However, I've now noticed an issue with the way VMWare Workstation will disconnect with the USB device.

After a while, it will disconnect the USB Device from the VM and put it in limbo.

Further more, you won't be able to reconnect the USB Device (Error message, this device is already connected to a VM.

The only way out is to disconnect the device from the USB Port and reconnect it again.

I suspect some kind of power down but I'm not sure.

Looking at the Device manager on the Host, I can see a VMWare USB Device on the list, which confuses as that means that the device is connected right?

If I then disconnect the physical usb, this device is then released.

Reconnect the USB Modem and then attempt to reconnect again and then it works.

But for some reason, it will disconnect the device back to the host within the hour.

I don't know if it is a power down on the USB device or something that forces it to get disconnected from the VM.

It doesn't really make any sense and unfortunately brings me back to square one.

Nothing worse than unpredictable behavior.

I hope someone from here or from VMWare has an answer, otherwise it's back to the drawing board on this one.

0 Kudos
0 Replies