VMware Communities
Elliander
Contributor
Contributor

Stretch Resolution?

Hi, I am using VMware Workstation Pro 12.0.0 build-2985596 on a University machine. I'm getting myself familiar with it's use before buying. My intention is to get a feel for it, learn how everything works, then buy it for my home computer which has multiple monitors, but something really strange is happening with the resolution.

The resolution of the host computer, running windows 10, is: 1440 x 900. When running Windows XP is the resolution does not match that it ends up really small with black borders. If I set it to that it looks fine, but most of the old programs I would run are not really designed for that so their full screen mode ends up in a small box. Pretty much the only way to actually get them to be full screen is if I reduce the resolution of the host computer, but I heard that Workstation Pro is supposed to be able to stretch it so that the workstation has lower resolution, but it's still full screen.

Under view settings I do see an option to autosize guest, which forces the resolution of the workstation to change, but the stretch option is greyed out. Even with the virtual machine powered off, there doesn't seem to be a setting to make it work. I tried unity mode (which is amazing, btw) but the "Full Screen: mode of programs end up no larger than the resolution they were designed for and not really full screen.

So is stretch resolution a feature or isn't it? It would be a shame if it isn't, since the whole point of using VMware is to run legacy applications that have specific hardware and software requirements.

Tags (1)
6 Replies
cbiero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Elliander,

You have to install a piece of software on the guest machine (XP) : VMware tools.

Once your guest is selected, check-out the VM menu. You should have an entry : Install VMware Tools

Install this with default option. Reboot your guest and try again !

Regards

----- If you found this or any other answer useful please use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to help next readers to quickly find the solution. Thanks !
0 Kudos
Elliander
Contributor
Contributor

VM Tools is installed on the guest machine. That was what I needed to install to get shared folders to work, but it never allowed stretch screen.

0 Kudos
cbiero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It looks the stretch option is only active when you are in Full Screen.

Try this :

- Set the resolution of your XP guest to something (eg : 800x600).

==> the XP windows is centered in the middle of your Workstation windows. Menu View / AutoSize / Stretch guest is gray.

- Go to full screen mode. Either pressing Ctrl+Alt+Enter of menu View / Full Screen

==> the XP windows is *STILL*  centered in the middle of your Workstation windows. But Menu View / AutoSize / Stretch guest is available now.

Erhm... that's it ?

If this doesn't work, maybe an issue with your current version. You may try the latest one ?

----- If you found this or any other answer useful please use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to help next readers to quickly find the solution. Thanks !
Elliander
Contributor
Contributor

ahh, thanks! That just about fixes it. The stretch option does appear, although since older computers had square screens there doesn't seem to be a "wide" resolution just above 800x600. Would there be any way to manually set the resolution to something odd (like, say, 800x900), or to tell it not to keep aspect ratio? Or maybe a way to tell it to use a certain resolution with certain programs, but not others? If there isn't I guess I could use a standard monitor for XP, but that would look really weird and I'm not sure if I have enough room on my desk for one of those giants.

0 Kudos
cbiero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AFAIK, the best you can do is to find a resolution with an aspect ratio as close as your host (or the target monitor) you wanted to display.

In other word the resolution that would fill the most surface once stretched.

eg : setting in XP 1280x720 [1.778] fit perfectly on my 1920x1080 [1.778] desktop...

0 Kudos
berber100
Contributor
Contributor

what about 854x480?

0 Kudos