VMware Communities
audricdhoest
Contributor
Contributor

Force stretching WMWare workstation window? Not change resolution, stretch image

Hello,

Odd question inbound. And some background so it "makes sense".

I am trying to play an old game, that only runs on windows xp and 7. That I know of. My host is Debian 9. At first I felt really adventurous and tried to make it run there. Some people apparently got it working. I am definitely not one of them.

My short reddit post about it:

The longest journey - playability status 2019? : linux_gaming

Then I tried emulation. I had forgotten that there is only VMWare that can handle 3d acceleration, unless I get a second GPU and bypass it through KVM. Too much hassle.

So now I am here with VMWare Workstation 15.

The game I am trying to play.. Doesnt have any decent configuration. You cant even switch from fullscreen to window mode if it isnt through editing a preference ini file. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

The game ONLY works in 640x480 resolution. They are some tool I got to know through my research such as Dxwnd, dgvoodoo2 and a few others that, for those who dont know them, are directx wrappers, that can well, force window mode, vsync, and stuff like that. As their own developers say "it works with some games, and with some others, not".

The problem here with these tools, I am pretty sure, is the graphic driver. For that same reason I cannot use the NVIDIA/ATI control panel to do the functions I am looking for. Force resolution, stretching, etc.

Thats the end of the background story. Thats just for "you tried that?" Yes, I did.

This is my situation right now:

VMWare - YouTube

To the question itself: is there anyway on VMWare workstation to resize the window, stretching it (that is NOT resizing. If I do, I "loose" the game. Goes black). I cannot find a combination of the View menu that does that. My end goal is to just have the game stretched. I know I cant hack the game to a decent resolution. Although they are some ways with the mentioned dgvoodoo2 but its super sketchy and unreliable. And not working in a virtual environment https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Longest_Journey  ) but having a small game 480p in a 1080p desktop kinda breaks the immersion effect. I know it will be super pixelated if I stretch it but Id rather have that

I can always just drop a magnifying glass on top of it but.. I was wondering if there was something "cleaner".

Thank you all,

0 Kudos
0 Replies