VMware Communities
scott4567
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Start up my machines more easily.

I would like to know if its possible to set up the Virtual Machines to start automatically when windows starts.

Also is this possible in linux?

I am interested in hearing about any version of windows or linux that supports this type of thing.

I would very much like to do something like what I have asked above, but if it is not possible at all then....

If not I would really like to know how to not have to go looking for my machines on my hard drive every time I want to start them up.

The feature that says

Browse for virtual machines and teams....

It only saves one machine that I can click on.

Otherwise I am always needing to click on that link every time I want to open one of my other machines and then find it on my hard drive.

thanks

scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

clicking F9 should display or hide them

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
scott4567
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello?

have I asked this question in the wrong place?

or is it not possible?

really would be nice to not have to search manually for my vm every single time I need to startt them up.

thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can start a Virtual Machine from the Favorites list in VMware Workstation or if you what put a Shortcut to then on the Desktop or other suitable place.

As far as starting a Virtual Machine with VMware Workstation when Windows boots this is not supported, not saying it can be done but not supported.  However if you what to start it automatically when logging into the Desktop that can be done just like any Startup item.

Have a look at my replies to the following and you can glean from them one of the ways of doing it.

Re: Need Assistance for a 95-Year-Old User

Re: Need Assistance for a 95-Year-Old User

scott4567
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI

if i could find the favorites maybe I wouild not be asking this question.

where is it??

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

clicking F9 should display or hide them

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you'd look in the VMware Workstation Help File Index under F and select overview under Favorites list you see it's in the Sidebar and if under S you select sidebar panel you'd how to access the Sidebar which is "Choose View > Sidebar."

Interesting that in the Help File Contents tab it's under Learning Workstation Basics > Overview of the Workstation Window > Favorites List in the Sidebar

Maybe it's time to start reading the documentation. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
scott4567
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

aloha

thanks for that info.

Woody I saw you post somewhere else about oem and eula.

if my oem mobo dies or i upgrade it is my eula then dead?

I am trying to reinstall on the machine with new mobo but oem dvd won't allow it.

I was going to try on a VM.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Generally speaking OEM versions of Windows live and die on the original system it is installed on and are not transferable and why the OEM pays very little for each copy as compared to the retail price.

Some branded OEM versions are locked to the specific OEM hardware and that sound like what you have.

As an example some OEM's not only lock it to the OEM hardware but certain models as well.  If I took a Dell Windows XP CD and tried to install it on a Dell Dimension 4100 it would install but reject the built in product key because the 4100 came with Windows 98 and was not a model offered a upgrade to Windows XP.  The same CD would however install okay and accept the built in product key on models that came after Windows XP was released but again not necessarily all of them.

With the exception of reinstalling the copy that came with the computer on that computer and that means the physical hardware that came with the computer not in a Virtual Machine, then the bottom line is if your not an OEM as defined by the System Builders EULA you have no business installing OEM versions of Windows to begin with.

There are unbranded OEM versions, however again if your not an OEM as defined by the System Builders EULA...

0 Kudos
scott4567
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for that info.

how much is very little?

where can I get one for cheap?

if not then maybe I will go back to win xp 64 bit.

should be able to find one of those for cheap.

I called hp and they were much less then helpful, this only second time I have ever called them.

both times after warranty expired.

and both times they keep trying to sell me a new system!

mine is only 1 year and half old.

I told the guy I have an I7-2600k with 16gb of ram, what do i need new system for, I just want my copy of windows.

no luck, he kept pushing the new system.

I hung up.

I wish I had made a backup of that system with paragon or acronis or something. I could get that to work on my new system.

thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

how much is very little?

where can I get one for cheap?

If you are a legitimate System Builder then you would already know the cost of and where to legally purchase OEM versions of Windows so I'm not going to address this any further.

If you want to run Windows legally in a Virtual Machine then either purchase a Retail version or get an MSDN Subscription or if you have access to and permission to use a Corporate version that is an option too.

0 Kudos
scott4567
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

well I am building computer systems to resell, just started doing that.

not sure what you have to do to become a "system builder"

thanks

scott

0 Kudos
scott4567
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Aloha

Thanks a lot

I checked out that site and spent quite a bit of time on there, but I can't seem to find the link to The "System Builder 3 license packs" pricing.

do you know where it is?

thanks

scott

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No offence intended... This is not Microsoft OEM Support!  If you need help with Microsoft OEM then contact Microsoft.

Have a look at OEM Part Numbers and Find a Distributor then contact the Distributor of your choice.

0 Kudos
scott4567
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks

will do

0 Kudos