VMware Communities
balubeto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMnet1 and VMnet8 adapters and private network of work type

HI

I installed VMware Workstation 7.1.4 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and I have created a virtual machine so that it goes on the internet in bridge mode.

I have noticed that, in the "Network and Sharing Center" on the host (192.168.1.2), VMnet1 and VMnet8 adapters are associated with an unidentified public network.

Using the Virtual Network Editor, as do I change the settings of the VMnet1 and VMnet8 adapters to ensure that the network, associated with these adapters, is considered a private network of work type (Category = Private , Location = Work)?

THANKS

BYE

balubeto
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NorwayTrond
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The best way to do this is to exclude the two VMWare nics from Windows NLA (Network Location Awareness), which is what controls your network location. Other suggestions (disabling the Windows Firewall, among others) might not be acceptable.

Follow this link for the details on how to perform the operation:

http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=45181

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why did you start another thread on the same subject you have asked in Changing the category and location of VMnet1 and VMnet8 connections?

This is not a VMware issue and is a Windows issue and I did a Google search and found the answer so you can do it too!  You have to change it in the Local Group Policy Editor, gpedit.msc.

Local_Group_Policy_Editor.png

Network_and_Sharing_Center.png

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I like to use the "Redefine the VMware virtual NICs as endpoint devices" option from this KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004813

Note that you will need to redo the changes each time you reinstall/upgrade VMware Workstation.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I already told balubeto that in Changing the category and location of VMnet1 and VMnet8 connections and apparently was not acceptable.

0 Kudos
balubeto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit  does not have the gpedit.msc console. So, how do I do this?

THANKS

BYE

balubeto
0 Kudos
balubeto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In other words, I have Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit and I installed VMware Workstation 7.1.4.

In Network and Sharing Center in Windows 7, VMware Workstation has created a unidentified public network connected to two Virtual Adapters (VMnet1 and VMnet8).

Now, how do I change the category and the location of this network remembering that the Home Premium does not have the secpol.msc and gpedit.msc consoles?

THANKS

BYE

balubeto
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As a workaround you can either do as suggested by Scissor otherwise this is not a VMware issue, it a Windows 7 issue and contact Microsoft to resolve your Windows 7 issue.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you follow the "Redefine the VMware virtual NICs as endpoint devices" section at the bottom of this KB article then your problems will be solved.   

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004813

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I already told balubeto that in Changing the category and location of VMnet1 and VMnet8 connections and apparently was not acceptable.  He's been quite adamant that he wants to see the adapters show in Network and Sharing Center as Work and "Redefine the VMware virtual NICs as endpoint devices" does not do this although the adapters will work nonetheless.  So let him go to Microsoft with his Windows 7 issue! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
balubeto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I applied the instructions of the "Redefine the VMware virtual NICs as endpoint devices" paragraph but, now, in the "Network and Sharing Center" window, the private network of VMware is not displayed. Why?

THANKS

BYE

balubeto
0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The change you made in the registry causes the VMnet1 and VMnet9 adapters to be exempted from the Windows Firewall on the Host.  That is why they are no longer listed in the Network and Sharing Center. 

0 Kudos
balubeto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This procedure is also applicable to Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit or is there a better way?

THANKS

BYE

balubeto
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes and you can use the information in the VMware KB or the Local Group Policy Editor, gpedit.msc.  Which is the better way is up to you.  Also if you spent a little time goggling this you'd see what your options are.

Also stop typing "thanks" and "bye" in all caps as it is considered shouting and rude.

0 Kudos
NorwayTrond
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The best way to do this is to exclude the two VMWare nics from Windows NLA (Network Location Awareness), which is what controls your network location. Other suggestions (disabling the Windows Firewall, among others) might not be acceptable.

Follow this link for the details on how to perform the operation:

http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=45181

0 Kudos