VMware Communities
ManeeshPChawda
Contributor
Contributor

Setup .EXE

Hi,

Till date I am able to install Windows etc... as VM VMWare Workstation using ISO, now I want to install it using setup.exe. Is it possible.

Regards,

Manish Chawda

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How exactly do you want to do this? A .exe file requires an operating system, on which it can be started. Please clarify.

André

0 Kudos
ManeeshPChawda
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I downloaded ISO file from Microsoft and thought to write it on USB with GPT option using Rufus. I did it since I wanted to see if I can boot UEFI based Windows-USB in VMWare Workstation. But after configuring few things I was not able to do it. So thought to use the files which RuFus had created while prepared GPT based Windows-USB.

My main goal was to use GPT based Windows while doing this unsuccessfully I got another goal as to how can one boot VM from such files i.e. files creating using RuFus.

Hope you have got my point. 

Regards,

Manish Chawda

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

I never used Rufus, but booting USB drives in UEFI mode does work for me (do note that in BIOS mode booting from USB is not supported).

0 Kudos
ManeeshPChawda
Contributor
Contributor

When I configure to use UEFI, it shows the screen as attached. But if I change it to BIOS everything works fine. Rufus is just an example to mention as to where I created UEFI based Windows Bootable. 

Kindly advise

0 Kudos