VMware Communities
DaROC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Script Error when trying to install VMWare Workstation 7.1 build 261024

Hi there,

I have uninstalled VMware 7.0.1 restarted and proceeded to install ver 7.1.

I get the following error after selecting the instal type (typical / custon) - please see attachment for error screenshot

If I click yes or no the install window remains blank and nothing happens.

I am running Windows 7 and have tried restarting and downloading the instaler sever times. Any idea what happeining here.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
k3y3n1n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i think i solved it well for me at least.

I uninstalled any 3rd party browsers and cleaned up my temp folder jsut by deleting everything in it

Then i ran the installer again got the same error so I went to that temp folder that shows up in the error message in my case it was "C:\Users\k3y3n1n\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware_12755896" and i located the vmware.msi file use that as my install and it work give it a shot and let me know

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
ioniancat21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also am getting this error on a computer of mine as well. I have had successful installations of the same product on other machines so the product does indeed work. HELP!!!!!

0 Kudos
DaROC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Indeed, no one else seems to have looked at this issue at all, which is unfortuanate, but understandable if it is rare.

I have 20 development PCs which by no means have fresh Operating Systems, this error has occured on 5 of them while trying to install VMW.

I can instal version 7.0.1 no problem, but 7.1 just wond do it. I realy would like to be able to utilise the enhanced GPU that comes with 7.1 on all my systems.

Please someone.....HELP????

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does this happen only on Windows 7 hosts, or have you encountered this for other versions of Windows as well?

Could you please attach the installation log files? These files are:

• All vm*.log files in %TEMP%

• %WINDIR%\inf\setupapi.log and setupapi.dev.log. (On XP, this will be just a single %WINDIR%\setupapi.log file.)

0 Kudos
DaROC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi James,

Thanks for reply, yes this has only occcured for me on Windows 7 hosts. I cannot attach the requested files at the moment as I am not with my computers but as soon as I get back to my office at the weekend I can upload.

0 Kudos
ioniancat21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just wanted to add that the problem seems to affect only Windows 7 clients for the moment, however, I do also have some Windows 7 clients working with no issue, 32 and 64-bit varieties. I guess it looks like a few calls to support are needed here to bump up the priority of this issue.............

0 Kudos
DaROC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ioniancat21 :

Are you in a position to provide the files requested by jameslin?

0 Kudos
k3y3n1n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I get the same issue i went from 6.5 to 7.0 fine but when i go to 7.1 i get the same error.

I even tried to to make a win 7 vm machine in 6.5 with 7.1 update and no dice.

0 Kudos
JJoel42
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This is just a guess... but it may be the same issue found and triaged by Marc Esher - here is his blog post:

http://blog.mxunit.org/2010/05/bug-in-vmware-workstation-installer.html

0 Kudos
DaROC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are on the right track, did a little digging and this behaviour seems very like what I am seeing, however, it is not a case of a different "index.htm" being displayed, it seems that it is not being generated, or updated after clicking "next" in the installer. Why this only happens on certain systems running win 7 I do not know. I started this post a good while ago now, but seems like interest is picking up, hopefully an answer will come soon! Thanks to all contributing!

0 Kudos
k3y3n1n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You know I am acually going to try what you did.. I download alot of tools before installed vmware and i know for certain i havent cleaned out the cache or temp files so i am curious if there a file in there that causing vmware to pop

0 Kudos
k3y3n1n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i think i solved it well for me at least.

I uninstalled any 3rd party browsers and cleaned up my temp folder jsut by deleting everything in it

Then i ran the installer again got the same error so I went to that temp folder that shows up in the error message in my case it was "C:\Users\k3y3n1n\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware_12755896" and i located the vmware.msi file use that as my install and it work give it a shot and let me know

0 Kudos
itstudent201110
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also went to the folder in my error message, and opened that msi and worked liked a dream.  I am running a win7 x64 host system. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
sanjeevoraexper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello Mr. Vmware

i get the script error after selecting the instal type (typical / custon)

If I click yes or no the install window remains blank and nothing happens.

I am running Windows 8 and have tried restarting and downloading the instaler sever times. Any idea what happeining here.

Thanks

0 Kudos