VMware Communities
medinanet
Contributor
Contributor

SBS 2003 on Vista host not starting, File not found error

Hello,

I am running a Guest SBS2003 on Workstation 6.5.2 hosted on Vista Home Premium HP Core2Quad system. I have been running this VM steadily for the last 8 months without issue. I was doing a defrag of the guest hard drives (not the VM file) when the machine (host) froze. I had to hard reboot the machine. Now the Vm wont come up. I get the following message:

File not found: Windows Server 2003 Small Business-000011.vmdk

This file is required to power on this virtual machine. If this file was moved, please provide its new location.

I tried following the advice here:

but I don't see any "flat" files. Also I am confused because the instructions don't jive with what I am seeing in my vm folder. Although I created several snapshots, In my infinite wisdom I had not backup the vm folder (I was going to do it tomorrow...which is what I said yesterday). Is there a way to recover this vm? Or at least retrieve the Exchange data stores on the virtual drives? I have attached a vmreport in the hopes that it helps you diagnose the problem.

Thanks

Lionel

P.S. The vm was create in Workstation 6.0 . After the vm didn't come up, I upgraded to Wordstation 6.5 to see if it would work (it didn't) So now I am working with Workstation 6.5

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

the link you posted does not apply here.

Did you remove the *.lck files and dirs and tried to start ?

If that does not help - visit my site vm-sickbay and post data as recommended

Ulli

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos