VMware Communities
bazza52
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NIC device names in Workstation (for ESX4 scripted install)

I'm trying to use an ESX4 scripted install from within VMware Workstation 6.5 (using esx ks=nfs:ipaddress:/sharename/ks.cfg ksdevice=eth0)

Problem is that it does not recognise the eth0 - it comes up with "No NIC found with the name eth0" within ESX. I have also tried eth1, eth2.

I have 1 virtual NIC configured for the ESX VM in Workstation (the same set up I have for other ESX4 in a box machines). I have also tried Bridged (Replicate), Host-Only and Custom: VMnet1 settings for the NIC.

Is it possible to test from the ESX installer what NIC devices are present? What are standard NIC device names in this situation? Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vishy123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi There,

Having same issue, did you manage to find a workaround?

sample isolinux.cfg

label test

kernel vmlinuz

append initrd=initrd.img mem=512M quiet ksdevice=eth0 ip=10.0.0.1 netmask=255.255.0.0 gateway=10.0.0.2 dns=10.0.0.102 ks=http://10.0.0.4:8088/vmware/esx40/cfg/ks.cfg

Thanks,

Vishy

0 Kudos
nsusa
Contributor
Contributor

And one more with the same problem. Anyone found a solution yet?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

are you sure you use a e1000 for the ESX-VM ?

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
Vishy1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm using same conf for ESX 3.5 U4 deployment on workstation and Dell servers and it works fine, just not with ESX 4.0.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for Correct or Helpful.
0 Kudos
prakashraj
Expert
Expert

Hi,

To detect NIC in ESX VM inside of vmware workstation 6.5 you have to edit the .vmx file of ESX VM

Edit .vmx and add the following

ethernet0.virtualDev = “e1000”

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = “true”

Prakash

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
Vishy1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Already predefined... still same issue

Cheers,

Vishal

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for Correct or Helpful.
0 Kudos