VMware Communities
valve1901
Contributor
Contributor

Outpost firewall with guest windows 7

My host operating system is windows 7 x64.  The guest systems are Win XP and Windows 7. Both of guests system is set to bridged network connection.

After I installed outpost firewall, the guest Win XP works perfectly. But in the guest Windows 7, I got IP conflict error in the guest win 7, whatever the IP was allocated from DHCP or manually set.  It’s very strange. 

I have set the following outpost rules, but win 7 guest still doesn’t work.

Click Settings > Network Rules > System-Wide Rules > Low-Level Rules.

Where the protocol is IP

and IP protocol type is TCP, UDP

and local address is (specify your virtual machine IP address or the subnet to which it belongs (for example, 192.168.5.0))

Allow

Where the protocol is UDP

and port is 67, 68, 546, 547

and local port is 67, 68, 546, 547

Allow

Host: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Guest: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
VMware: VMware workstation 7.1.3 build-324285
VMware network connection: bridged

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

just a guess. Try to disable IPv6 in the Windows 7 guest.

André

0 Kudos
valve1901
Contributor
Contributor

I have disabled the IPV6 in the guest by modified the registry, so that IPV6 is permanently disabled now.
But I still got the ip address conflict error.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

But I still got the ip address conflict error

You didn't mention a conflict in your first post!? Take a look at the Windows event log to find out the MAC address of the system with the duplicate IP address. Don't you use DHCP?

André

EDIT: Sorry, I read your post again and the conflict is mentioned.Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
valve1901
Contributor
Contributor

When I just posted this question, I didn’t mention IP conflict. And then I modified it immediately.  I thought that nobody saw this question yet, so I didn’t put “Edit” in there.  And Thanks for quick reply.

The event log:  
The system detected an address conflict for IP address 0.0.0.0 with the system having network hardware address 00-25-9C-xx-xx-xx. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result.

The 00-25-9C-xx-xx-xx is my host network card physical address.

When I typed ipconfig /renew in the guest, I got the error. I am sure My DHCP server works fine.
Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The DHCP client has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the network. The local interface will be disabled until the DHCP client can obtain a new address.

An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find the file specified.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's strange. Can you run "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconig /renew" for the host first and then for the guest. Do you have the chance to take a look at th active leases on the DHCP server? Maybe there's also something in the DHCP server's logs!?

André

0 Kudos
valve1901
Contributor
Contributor

I got error when I typed ipconfig/release:
Windows IP Configuration
An error occurred while releasing interface Local Area Connection : An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint.

Perhaps the DHCP server is not related with this issue. I manually set an IP for the guest system, but I got the same error in the guest.

Log Name:      System

Source:        Tcpip

Date:          1/2/2011 7:27:39 PM

Event ID:      4199

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      vm-win7-x64

Description:

The system detected an address conflict for IP address 0.0.0.0 with the system having network hardware address 00-25-9C-xx-xx-xx. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

One more idea what you could try. Remove the virtual NIC from the Windows 7 VM and add a new one. This will create a new virtual MAC address in case the current MAC address causes the issue for whatever reason.

André

0 Kudos
valve1901
Contributor
Contributor

I created a new virtual machine to get the new MAC address. But it still doesn’t work.

AS before the Outpost Firewall installed, everything works fine. So I uninstalled the Outpost Firewall, the problem was gone.  And when I installed the Outpost again, the problem came back. It seems that I need to create some Outpost firewall rules.

My Outpost version:  Outpost Firewall Pro 7.0

0 Kudos