VMware Communities
SpeedyGonzales
Contributor
Contributor

No UNC path after converting from NT40

Hi,

I have converted my NT40/SP6 PC to a VM. Worked fine so far. But starting the VM in Workstation 6.5.0 I am unable to access by UNC-Path. I.e. some of my batch files use UNC path to start a programm: \\pc-name\c$\programs\winzip\winzip.exe . It results in an error message like:"Network path not found". The same problem occurs when trying to share/map a (guest-local) directory. And the converted directory shares/maps from the PC hardware does not work either.

I would be glad if you have an explanation

Speedy...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

But starting the VM in Workstation 6.5.0 I am unable to access by UNC-Path. I.e. some of my batch files use UNC path to start a programm: file://pc-name/c$/programs/winzip/winzip.exe . It results in an error message like:"Network path not found". The same problem occurs when trying to share/map a (guest-local) directory. And the converted directory shares/maps from the PC hardware does not work either.

Hi, FIrst I don't think it is a virtualisation issue. You are accessing an administrative share (the c$ bit) do you have admin rights when you are trying to access it?

Second afaik, the file:// protocol isn't UNC encoding.. (sorry for nitpicking) as that would look like this:

\\pc-name\c$\programs\winzip\winzip.exe

My guess is that your problem has to do with insufficient rights in one way or the other.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
SpeedyGonzales
Contributor
Contributor

Hi wila,

Thanks for your hint about formating - I have corrected now.

The problem can not be insufficient rights, because I am logged in with administrator rights - and on source hardware PC everything worked well. Also UNC path to non administrative shares do not work. I.e. \\PC-Name\Progs\Winzip\Winzip.exe where Progs is an share/map converted from origin hardware PC. As I commented above, in the VM I am also not able to create new shares/maps not even on host-local directories.

Speedy...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Did you change the SID on your virtual machine?

If you did not change the SID, is your virtual host and physical machine on the network at the same time? If online at the same time, did you change the hostname of your virtual station? (so they would not clash)

What type of network are you connecting towards? Netbios or not? CIFS?

Did you enable the same type of protocols on your virtual NIC as on the physical one? Beware that it is NOT the same network adapter, so your old network settings are not copied over, instead they are now on a disabled NIC (unless you removed the obsolete hardware, which you should, but that's not biting you now) Are you using DHCP for network config? If so does the vNIC get an IP?

(So many questions... )

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
SpeedyGonzales
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wil,

thanks for your proposals (questions). I will try and answer as soon as possible. But until 19. November I am busy in something else. So I will test your suggestions after that and will answer your questens and inform you about (hopefully) success.

Greetings

Speedy...

0 Kudos