VMware Communities
PJDuro
Contributor
Contributor

Networking still broken in Workstation 7.0RC

I've been eagerly awaiting the patches which will enable me to use VMWare Workstation on a Windows 7 x64 host (6.1.7600 - Windows 7 Ultimate)..

I've tried 6.5.2, 6.5.3.. Been hunting around for a 6.5.4 release (however have had no luck finding that..) too..

So instead today I downloaded the fresh new release candidate for Workstation 7.0 (build 197124, downloaded 4/10/2009). On the RC download page it states as one of the new features: "Windows 7 support as a Host and Guest OS"..

So what did I find, well VMs that used to run great so functioning networking for a Windows XP SP2 x86, and Ubuntu x64 client, and others..) in Workstation 6.5.2 on Vista Enterprise SP2 x64, no longer work, even though apparently Win7 x64 is supported as a host OS..

VMware, come on.. There are now quite a number of VMWare community members that are crying out for support for Win7 both as a host and guest OS, however, even with a new release of Workstation 7.0, which states that Win7 is fully supported, you're unable to get this networking right.. Even worse, there's no clear information about when licensed users should be expecting this support to arrive..

I for one would really like an update to the status of how update development is coming along, and when we can expect Win7 support to work, fully? I'm also hoping that support is planned for the 6.5.x line of Workstation licenses.. And not just the 7.x line, which will force licensed users to dig into their back pocket for yet another upgrade fee..

VMWare - are you even listening?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Tom2k8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Patience!

I agree that your issue is a kind of showstopper.

An RC is not a general availability release yet. A beta or an RC is just meant to iron out issues like the one you encountered. Such releases CAN contain some bugs.

0 Kudos