VMware Communities
Lerager
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

More CPU power

Hi'

I would like to know if i can get more CPU resources on my VM, and how.

Be kind i not a hardware geek Smiley Happy

This is my Host:

pastedImage_1.png

And my vm is a workstation 12Pro running win 7 x64

pastedImage_2.png

As you can see Number of cpu and core is set to 1 / 1

Cpu can be set 1,2,48,16

Core per cpu to 1,2,3,4  6,8,12,16

How to optimal change this to get more power.

And can I do that ion the fly ect. when i working in a heavy Graph program.

Thank You

Morten Lerager

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Your CPU is 4 core/8 thread Kaby Lake generation CPU.

https://ark.intel.com/products/97468/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1535M-v6-8M-Cache-3_10-GHz

The most you can go with is 6 virtual CPUs to leave some cores for the host (e.g. 1 processor, 6 cores = 6 virtual CPUs; or 2 processors with 2 cores = 4 virtual CPUs). I would avoid assigning total virtual CPUs that is odd in number (1 being the exception). You can keep the number of virtual processors to 1 as the host only has one CPU. Assuming you have Windows 7 Professional or Enterprise, it should be able to recognise 2 virtual sockets but there is no inherent advantage to do so inside a VM as the host machine is only a single CPU socket machine.

Getting optimal use of the host CPU is also dependent on the guest OS. As the guest OS is Windows 7 (released in 2010), it cannot take advantage of instruction sets that are present in newer CPUs. For example, to mitigate against performance hit in I/O intensive workloads due to the Meltdown patch, the INVPCID instruction (available in Haswell and newer CPUs, i.e. 2013 and onwards) is used. But Windows 7 cannot make use of it; so the Windows 7 VM will suffer a performance penalty as a result.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Your CPU is 4 core/8 thread Kaby Lake generation CPU.

https://ark.intel.com/products/97468/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1535M-v6-8M-Cache-3_10-GHz

The most you can go with is 6 virtual CPUs to leave some cores for the host (e.g. 1 processor, 6 cores = 6 virtual CPUs; or 2 processors with 2 cores = 4 virtual CPUs). I would avoid assigning total virtual CPUs that is odd in number (1 being the exception). You can keep the number of virtual processors to 1 as the host only has one CPU. Assuming you have Windows 7 Professional or Enterprise, it should be able to recognise 2 virtual sockets but there is no inherent advantage to do so inside a VM as the host machine is only a single CPU socket machine.

Getting optimal use of the host CPU is also dependent on the guest OS. As the guest OS is Windows 7 (released in 2010), it cannot take advantage of instruction sets that are present in newer CPUs. For example, to mitigate against performance hit in I/O intensive workloads due to the Meltdown patch, the INVPCID instruction (available in Haswell and newer CPUs, i.e. 2013 and onwards) is used. But Windows 7 cannot make use of it; so the Windows 7 VM will suffer a performance penalty as a result.

0 Kudos
Lerager
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank's

That's better. I change to 1 Cpu 4 Core

Before:

pastedImage_0.png

After:

pastedImage_1.png

Smiley Happy