VMware Communities
senf2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Module 'Disk' power on failed / VM and no snapshot will start

After an System-Restart of my Hostengine maybe caused by an Kaspersky update my VM Workstation on W2019 server won´t start. 

First i get the message :"File not found: G:\WMWARE_Snapshots\Windows Server 2019-000004.vmdk" But the file is still there. When i manually choose the File it try to start, but then i get the message :"Cannot open the disk 'G:\WMWARE_Snapshots\Windows Server 2019-000013.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.Module 'Disk' power on failed."

I renamed the *".ICK - File . But that doesn´t help. 

And no one of the other Snapshots work as well 😞

I checked the Quarantäne-Folder of my Kaspersky, but without any result.  I also deaktivated Kaspersky without result.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You've marked your last reply as the "Correct Answer", so can I safely assume that the VM is working again?

André

0 Kudos
senf2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, sorry was an mistake of mine. 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Ok, then let's see which files we have now in the different directories. For this please provide a current file listing which includes the restored files.

Some additional questions:

1. Did you already remove the "Autoprotect" settings from the VM's .vmx file?
  2. Do you need all the snapshots, i.e. is there any need to revert to one of them?
  3. Do you have a drive/folder with sufficient free disk space available for all of the VM's files (a full clone)? If so, I'd recommend that we do some cleanup after fixing the current issues!

André

0 Kudos
senf2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

01. yes

02. no, but it would be fine to get the last possible snapshot

03. yes, 1 TB 

0 Kudos
atonalwilson
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

The Module Disk Power on Failed error message appears when you are trying to boot up a virtual machine using any VMware software. This error message usually reflects towards the virtual machine not being powered off safely or properly which as a result generates the said error message. Along with the said issue comes the “The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file” which throws more light on what the issue is. Basically, what is essentially happening is the virtual machine that you are trying to power on is blocked by other VMware files. Thus, due to this lockage, the virtual machine does not boot up successfully.

Thanks,

Atonal

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Ok. let's see how far this will take us.

Close VMware Workstation, then delete all files with extensions .vmsd, .vmem, .vmsn from the VM's folders (or move them to a new sub-directory if you want), then power on the VM.
If you receive an error message when you power on the VM, please let me know what it says, and attach the latest vmware.log along with all the small (~2 kB) .vmdk descriptor files (compressed in a .zip archive) to your next reply (these are small text files which describe the virtual disks' sizes, and geometry).

André

0 Kudos
senf2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I get following Message:"The parent of this virtual disk could not be opened Cannot open the disk 'G:\WMWARE_Snapshots\Windows Server 2019-1-000010.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on. Module 'Disk' power on failed. Failed to start the virtual machine."

0 Kudos
senf2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Had someone any new suggestion🙀? Or do someone know an goot it-service who could help me on that kind of problem by remote? I will get in big trouble if i will lost all the data of the vm.😥

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry, with all those files I overlooked the missing "Windows Server 2019-1-s005.vmdk".
Please replace that file with e.g. a copy of "Windows Server 2019-1-s015.vmdk".

With the other .vmdk files' sizes of ~30GB each, the guest file system will however be in an unhealthy state.
Please double-check if the restore process - for whatever reason - didn't restore the mentioned file, or if it is already missing in your backup.

André

0 Kudos
senf2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. I could resore the missing file. But right now tha machine said "G:\WMWARE_Snapshots\Windows Server 2019-1.vmdk" & "G:\WMWARE_Snapshots\Windows Server 2019-1.vmdk" failed to open. But the file is still there. What could cause that?

0 Kudos
senf2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right now the Machine is running (not very stable, but it is running) The problem i guess was an damaged "Windows Server 2019-1.vmdk" file. I  checked my restored files with winmerge and found that there was a problem on that file. Right now im setup an new VM. I could save 99% of my data. Thanks a lot! 

Any suggestions für setting up the new machine? Even not so much snapshots? Because im realy new to Vm-Ware i thougt it would normal to have such a lot of files.....

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> Any suggestions für setting up the new machine?

Some thoughts:

• Do not use Autoprotect !
  • Backup the VM frequently
  • Keep all of the VM's files in a single folder (no workingDir, etc. configuration)
  • Consider excluding *.vm* files from A/V on-access scanning (you may limit this to the VMs' folders)
  • Never store VMs in OneDrive replicated directories (just in case you consider this)

André