VMware Communities
qzwx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Meta question: How to search your old posts?

I don't know if this is the right place for this question if not then feel free to move this somewhere better forum...

1) How can I find my old discussions? I was looking for button like "See my old posts" or something in my account / activity.

2) How the search box on left top (The one saying "Type to filter by text") is supposed to work? Does it include discussion title or text or both? I just wrote a reply to my old post The cancel button in "The specified device is claimed by another driver (usb-storage)..." dialog doe...‌ so it is first on the list. I tried to search this discussion, but with default settings (all discussions, sort newest first, no tags) and entering "The cancel button" or some text in the discussion like "After resuming a client I get this dialog." did not find it although it is newest discussion. I tried Firefox and Chrome.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I tend to use google with a search phrase that only shows results for this site (eg. add site:communities.vmware.com )

So for finding your posts:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=qzwx+site:communities.vmware.com

Besides that you can browse your own posts (and discussions) under the top menu -> browse -> discussions

As far as the search goes within the site itself.. I've considered it broken for a long time, but to be fair it's quite hard to make it just as good as a search engine.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I tend to use google with a search phrase that only shows results for this site (eg. add site:communities.vmware.com )

So for finding your posts:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=qzwx+site:communities.vmware.com

Besides that you can browse your own posts (and discussions) under the top menu -> browse -> discussions

As far as the search goes within the site itself.. I've considered it broken for a long time, but to be fair it's quite hard to make it just as good as a search engine.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
qzwx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for this.  Smiley Happy  Maybe VMVare people could just wire the search button to launch google search.