VMware Communities
qzwx
Contributor
Contributor

The cancel button in "The specified device is claimed by another driver (usb-storage)..." dialog does not work?

Product is 12.1.0 build-3272444

After resuming a client I get this dialog.

There are 2 problems

1) If I have several USB storages connected how can I know which device this is about?

2) Clicking cancel does not help, the dialog comes back. Only way to get on is to click OK.

Is there any way to cancel the device disconnection from its current driver?

Thank you for your support!

VMWare dialog.jpg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for reporting the issues. I filed 2 separate bugs to track your 2 problems individually. The 1st problems is like a feature request. And the 2nd is a bug. Thanks for reporting again!

0 Kudos
qzwx
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

What's the status of this feature request and bug fix? It seems that they are not done on 12.1.1 or 12.5. In what release are they going to be implemeted / fixed?

This bug has caused lot of pain, problems and extra work for me. I was writing truecrypt encrypted file on USB drive and starting a VM and this VM took the USB disk from host that I was using. This 3TB Truecrypt volume went broken (opening takes 30min, popping up error dialogs) and it took hours to try to backup what's still available there, reformat the 3TB disk, create new truecrypt volume and to copy all necessary data into it. Luckily I had the data somewhere else.

I need to have several USB disks attached to host but now the situation is that because you never know what USB disk a VM client is going to take when you start it you cannot start any VM client when USB disks are in active use in host! Or if you have to start a client you have to stop those tasks and close truecrypt volumes on the host.

NOTE that a VM client may take the USB disk during the VM start also in case all USB disks were disconnected from the VM before suspend (VM/Removable devices/XXX/Disconnect).

Is there any way to prevent VM client to connect any USB disks during start up ? (other than removing USB controller from VM settings)

0 Kudos
brouhaha
Contributor
Contributor

The cancel button for USB device connection still doesn't work in VMware Workstation 14.1.1 build-7528167. Clicking cancel dismisses the dialog, but it just pops up again immediately.

I don't use USB disks very often, but this also happens with USB-serial cables, which I do use quite frequently.

0 Kudos