VMware Communities
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Low memory messages using Win7Pro

Host: 16GB, 64bit, Win10Pro from Microsoft's Win10Home, 2TB SSD (60% usage)

Workstation 12.5.x (most recent version)

Just migrated from a 2TB HDD to 2TB SSD using same laptop and copied all VM folders and images from previous HDD to SSD

I expanded this VMWare Disk Size from 137.1GB to 160GB also.

I'm now getting "low memory errors" using Win7Pro

1) If RAM set =2052GB once I see the WMWare Win7Pro Desktop I immediately sequentially see

a) Performance Options dialog box

b) Microsoft Windows message stating: "Your computer is ow on memory.  To restore enough memory for programs to work correct, save your files and then choose or restart all open programs.".

Note: Again, I haven't done anything but enter my UserID/password and get to the Desktop

2) If RAM set =2048GB (recommended) once I see the WMWare Win7Pro Desktop I immediately sequentially see

a) System Properties dialog box: "Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer.  The total paging file size for all disk drives may be somewhat larger than the size you specified."

Note: Previously, I've tried to delete the page file and restart my WMWare image but I still got the message.

I'm not sure where to begin.  Any suggestions appreciated.  The results from a Google search didn't suggest anything constructive.  Not sure if this issue is 'true' Windows or related to the copy from the previous HDD to my new SSD or if something was left open previously or if I need to remove a temporary VMWare file or what...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, uniquely, i may have solved the problem!  Here's what I just did and I do not have any issues with my three (3) major applications and getting out and back in again.  Very simply, I renamed the previous *.vmem" file from "MyVMWareName-6a3e5432.vmem" to "OLDMyVMWareName-6a3e5432.vmem" and restarted my VMWare image of "MyWMWareName" and things went directly to the Desktop without ANY issues on the initial restart.  I then tested my three (3) major apps and they all functioned properly.  I logged out (Shutdown) and restarted again with no issues!

I does appear that the problem is resolved.  Just rename the *.vmem file of the associated MyWMWareName.

BTW, moving from the HDD to the SSD drive makes VMWare work like a real (!!) dream.  VMWare now works just like it's "own" workstation in speed.  What previously took minutes (and more) to launch and process now takes place in a wink-of-an-eye!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, uniquely, i may have solved the problem!  Here's what I just did and I do not have any issues with my three (3) major applications and getting out and back in again.  Very simply, I renamed the previous *.vmem" file from "MyVMWareName-6a3e5432.vmem" to "OLDMyVMWareName-6a3e5432.vmem" and restarted my VMWare image of "MyWMWareName" and things went directly to the Desktop without ANY issues on the initial restart.  I then tested my three (3) major apps and they all functioned properly.  I logged out (Shutdown) and restarted again with no issues!

I does appear that the problem is resolved.  Just rename the *.vmem file of the associated MyWMWareName.

BTW, moving from the HDD to the SSD drive makes VMWare work like a real (!!) dream.  VMWare now works just like it's "own" workstation in speed.  What previously took minutes (and more) to launch and process now takes place in a wink-of-an-eye!

Thanks!

0 Kudos