VMware Communities
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Lost Internet on VM images

Early in October '17 I had Internet access on my VM images - mainly 3 of them - all Window 7 Pros.  For some reason about mid-October the Internet access went away.

My host is Win 10 Pro and I'm on VMWare Pro 12.5.7 build-5813279.

I'm clueless to where to go next.  I've tried a couple of things - restarting the Host, cold booting the Host and generally checking the Guest settings.

Generally, here are the Guest settings:

Memory: 3GB

Processors: 2

HD: 931GB

CD/DVD: Auto detect

Floppy: Auto detect

Network Adapter 1 - 5: Bridged (automatic)

USB controller: Present

Sound card: Auto detect

Display: Auto detect

I've also reinstalled VMWare Tools on one of the images but not all.

I'm on a fully functioning Dell laptop (64bit chip; 64 bit OS).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMnet0/1/8 are default ones, so I'd not change any of them.  You can find posts/discussions here about VMnet0 missing.  But these may be just off topics for you.

I'd suggest you change the network adapter from Bridged to NAT, then reboot your guests.  Hopefully, you can get connection to the internet.  Of course, if you have to use Bridged, it's a different story.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Network Adapter 1 - 5: Bridged (automatic)

Do you (have to) have multiple NICs on each guest?  Could you post a screenshot of your Virtual Network Editor and each guest's settings?

0 Kudos
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here's are the VM settings.  I typically only have one of the images active at one time but I have had both active (casually).

It's not everyday I use the Internet with either of the images.

I don't know the +/- of the multiple NICs here....

Tx!

0 Kudos
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

1. I'd remove all network adapters with #s, but leave only one/Network Adapter for each guest.

Since you said

I don't know the +/- of the multiple NICs here.

it sounds that you didn't create these VMs or didn't know if multiple NICs are needed or both.  If yes to any, I'd remove extra ones before rebooting both guests.

2. I'd (still) like to see your Virtual Network Editor.

0 Kudos
SweaNisseGaming
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Three NICBridged NetworkingNetwork Address Translation (NAT)Host-Only Networking

Bridged networking configures your virtual machine as a unique identity on the network, separate and unrelated to its host.

Network address translation (NAT) configures your virtual machine to share the IP and MAC addresses of the host. The virtual machine and the host share a single network identity that is not visible outside the network. NAT can be useful when you are allowed a single IP address or MAC address by your network administrator. You might also use NAT to configure separate virtual machines for handling http and ftp requests, with both virtual machines running off the same IP address or domain.

Host-only networking configures your virtual machine to allow network access only to the host. This can be useful when you want a secure virtual machine that is connected to the host network, but available only through the host machine.

This needs to be described before moving on For this, basic WMware workstation networking skills are established and sorry for late replyor

you can alway restore defaults that will reset your settings remove old setting and add them again        inside Virtual Network Editor

Bridged Networking

Bridged networking connects a virtual machine to a network using the host computer's Ethernet adapte

Bridged networking is set up automatically if you select Use bridged networking in the New Virtual Machine Wizard or if you select the Typical setup path. This selection is available on a Linux host only if you enable the bridged networking option when you install VMware Workstation.

If your host computer is on an Ethernet network, this is often the easiest way to give your virtual machine access to that network. Linux and Windows hosts can use bridged networking to connect to both wired and wireless networks.

If you use bridged networking, your virtual machine needs to have its own identity on the network. For example, on a TCP/IP network, the virtual machine needs its own IP address. Your network administrator can tell you whether IP addresses are available for your virtual machine and what networking settings you should use in the guest operating system. Generally, your guest operating system may acquire an IP address and other network details automatically from a DHCP server, or you may need to set the IP address and other details manually in the guest operating system.

If you use bridged networking, the virtual machine is a full participant in the network. It has access to other machines on the network and can be contacted by other machines on the network as if it were a physical computer on the network.

Be aware that if the host computer is set up to boot multiple operating systems and you run one or more of them in virtual machines, you need to configure each operating system with a unique network address. People who boot multiple operating systems often assign all systems the same address, since they assume only one operating system will be running at a time. If you use one or more of the operating systems in a virtual machine, this assumption is no longer true.

If you make some other selection in the New Virtual Machine Wizard and later decide you want to use bridged networking, you can make that change in the virtual machine settings editor (VM > Settings)

Network Address Translation (NAT)

https://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/img/nat_1.png

NAT gives a virtual machine access to network resources using the host computer's IP address.

A network address translation connection is set up automatically if you follow the Custom path in the New Virtual Machine Wizard and select Use network address translation.

If you want to connect to the Internet or other TCP/IP network using the host computer's dial-up networking or broadband connection and you are not able to give your virtual machine an IP address on the external network, NAT is often the easiest way to give your virtual machine access to that network.

NAT also allows you to connect to a TCP/IP network using a Token Ring adapter on the host computer.

If you use NAT, your virtual machine does not have its own IP address on the external network. Instead, a separate private network is set up on the host computer. Your virtual machine gets an address on that network from the VMware virtual DHCP server. The VMware NAT device passes network data between one or more virtual machines and the external network. It identifies incoming data packets intended for each virtual machine and sends them to the correct destination.

If you select NAT, the virtual machine can use many standard TCP/IP protocols to connect to other machines on the external network. For example, you can use HTTP to browse Web sites, FTP to transfer files and Telnet to log on to other computers. In the default configuration, computers on the external network cannot initiate connections to the virtual machine. That means, for example, that the default configuration does not let you use the virtual machine as a Web server to send Web pages to computers on the external network.

If you make some other selection in the New Virtual Machine Wizard and later decide you want to use NAT, you can make that change in the virtual machine settings editor (VM > Settings)

Host-Only Networking

https://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/img/host-only_1.png

Host-only networking creates a network that is completely contained within the host computer.

A host-only network is set up automatically if you select Use Host-only Networking in the New Virtual Machine Wizard. On Linux hosts, this selection is available only if you enabled the host-only networking option when you installed VMware Workstation.

Host-only networking provides a network connection between the virtual machine and the host computer, using a virtual Ethernet adapter that is visible to the host operating system. This approach can be useful if you need to set up an isolated virtual network.

If you use host-only networking, your virtual machine and the host virtual adapter are connected to a private Ethernet network. Addresses on this network are provided by the VMware DHCP server.

If you make some other selection in the New Virtual Machine Wizard and later decide you want to use host-only networking, you can make that change in the virtual machine settings editor (VM > Settings).

Routing and Connection Sharing

If you install the proper routing or proxy software on your host computer, you can establish a connection between the host virtual Ethernet adapter and a physical network adapter on the host computer. This allows you, for example, to connect the virtual machine to a Token Ring or other non-Ethernet network.

On a Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 host computer, you can use host-only networking in combination with the Internet connection sharing feature in Windows to allow a virtual machine to use the host's dial-up networking adapter or other connection to the Internet. See your Windows documentation for details on configuring Internet connection sharing.

0 Kudos
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

He's one:

pastedImage_0.png

I removed the extra network adapters rebooted both images still without being able to connect to the Internet.

0 Kudos
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok.. Here's what you really want....VMnet1 and then VMnet8

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So, first problem first.

VMnet0, which is default Bridging, is missing in your Virtual Network Editor.  So, your network adapters will not give you any connection.

0 Kudos
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it simplest to add VMnet0 via the instructions above or is there an easier/more efficient way?

How was it removed?  Any idea?

Tx!!!

0 Kudos
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMnet0/1/8 are default ones, so I'd not change any of them.  You can find posts/discussions here about VMnet0 missing.  But these may be just off topics for you.

I'd suggest you change the network adapter from Bridged to NAT, then reboot your guests.  Hopefully, you can get connection to the internet.  Of course, if you have to use Bridged, it's a different story.

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can click "Change Settings" in the Virtual Network Editor page and then check if the VMnet0 appears.

0 Kudos
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!  NAT worked... I'll look into VMnet0 during the holidays....

0 Kudos