VMware Communities
aaron1337
Contributor
Contributor

Long time waiting for "applying computer settings" when Workstation Player is installed

Hey guys,

We’re running Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1 and VMware Workstation Player from Workstation Pro (12.5.2 build-4638234) and the standalone edition (12.5.1-4542065) in a Windows domain environment.

During the boot of the os it takes a long time (somewhat between 30 seconds to more than 2 minutes) while Windows shows „applying computer settings“. After waiting the mentioned time, it finally shows the logon screen. It happens on every boot no matter of cold or warm start (restart).

It is reproducible, because if product is uninstall it’s fast again (no waiting)

We noticed this since mid of October, when a few Windows Updates were installed. Meanwhile everyone who has this software installed, is facing these issues, which is pretty annoying.

We assume that is has something to do with DHCP, because if we assign the network Adapters "VMware Network Adapter VMnet1" and "... VMnet 8" a static IP address, there is also no waiting time. It seems like waiting for something, which cannot be done and after a timeout, the process is aborted and skipped.

We tried to disable the Windows services VMware Authorization Service, VMware DHCP Service, VMware NAT Service and VMware USB Arbitration Service, but no change.

Do you have any ideas, what we can do you make the boot process fast again without uninstalling the software and assign on every single system two static IP addresses? Smiley Happy

Best regards,

Aaron

0 Kudos
12 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I do not have a direct answer to your question as it is unclear to me what exactly is causing the wait

You suggest it is vmware "DHCP", but disabling it as a service does not speed up your boot, so I'd say it is due to something else.

There's quite a few services so I would not be surprised if you missed disabling the one causing the delay (my guess would be the hostd service as that is one that has to run before login)

Anyways.. have a look at the following post, it might give you pointers on how-to resolve this.

Re: disable auto-start VM workstation services/processes

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
aaron1337
Contributor
Contributor

I still suppose, that it has sometthing to do with DHCP, because if I assign each of these virtual network adapter an IP adress it will speed up the boot significantly.

Interesting Facts:

- if the network cable is attached, the boot is fast

- if no network cable is attached, it taskes 2 minutes and sometimes 3mins (for applying computer settings)

- if no network cable is attached and a static IP address, the boot is fast

- if no network cable is attached and the VMnet1 and VMnet8 are disabled, it is even fast than with a static IP address

- if no network cable is attached and only VMnet1 is disabled, it takes something between 20 and 60seconds (sometimes more, sometimes less) (for applying computer settings)

- if no network cable is attached and only VMnet8 is disabled, it takes about 15 seconds (for applying computer settings)

0 Kudos
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How many GPO's are you pushing to the VM in question?

0 Kudos
aaron1337
Contributor
Contributor

We're not pushing any GPO into/to the VMs (virtual machines), but rather to the clients, which has Workstation Player/Pro installed. The VMs are offline/has not connection to the corporate network.

GPO's that are pushed to the clients are about 65 (30 computer only / 35 user only), which are not all take effect, but have to be processed.

0 Kudos
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just a hunch but when you're PC is 'Applying Computer Settings', it's probably rolling through all the network interfaces trying to find the correct one to grab all your GPO's and authenticate.. Which in this case, we know which interface that is. Have you checked your NIC binding order to make sure your primary LAN adapter is the first one on the list?

Also, with that amount of GPO's I wouldn't expect an immediate login.

0 Kudos
aaron1337
Contributor
Contributor

Where can I check the NIC binding order?

0 Kudos
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Network Connections from Control Panel > Hold Alt > Advanced > Advanced Settings > Adapters and Bindings Tab > Connections. There you should see a list of NICs on your Workstation host.

0 Kudos
aaron1337
Contributor
Contributor

Hahaha wow, that's pretty good hidden Smiley Happy

The VMnet1 und VMnet8 adapters are at a very low position in the order (almost the last). I moved the LAN-Connection to the top (it was on 2nd position) and also changed the order of IPv4/IPv6 (now IPv4 is on top) in the field below, but it does not change the behaviour...

0 Kudos
aaron1337
Contributor
Contributor

After spending some time again, we found out, that this behaviour started to exist since updating to version 12.5. With version 12.1 (and 12.1.1) the boot is quick as earlier.

We also figured out, that if 12.1 is installed, the VMnet1 and VMnet8 network adapters both have static IP-addresses by default, but since 12.5 this has changed to DHCP.

Now the question: why? :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
aaron1337
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone another idea?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I start to feel a bit like a broken record as I have asked it a lot lately.

Do you by chance use either Avast or AVG antivirus?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
aaron1337
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wila,

we don't use either Avast or AVG antivirus. We're using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise.

0 Kudos