VMware Communities
iqworks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to power on virtual machine . This host does not support intel VT-x

Hi, I am using windows 10, version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1415). I have installed VMware Workstation 16 Pro.  

I have installed ESXi 7 inside my VMware workstation. I am trying to install security onion on this ESXi 7 so I can monitor my home network.

My shell esxcfg-info | grep "HV Support"   says 0. BEFORE I test with the following:  

When I uncheck the Hyper-V option in my “Turn windows feature on or off” and power on my ESXi with the “Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI” box checked, I get “Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform.
Continue without virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT”.

When I uncheck the Hyper-V option in my “Turn windows feature on or off” and power on my ESXi with the “Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI” box UNchecked, I get “Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is disabled for this ESX virtual machine. You will only be able to run 32-bit nested virtual machines”. Then, when I get into my ESXi and  try to power on my security onion VM, I get:

Failed to power on virtual machine “iq SO 2.3.62-MSEARCH OVF”. This host does not support intel VT-x.

Power On VM

Key

haTask-5-vim.VirtualMachine.powerOn-3141252040

Description

Power On this virtual machine

Virtual machine

iq SO 2.3.62-MEARCH 11 OVF

State

Failed - This host does not support Intel VT-x.

Errors

·   This host does not support Intel VT-x.

·   This host does not support "Intel EPT" hardware assisted MMU virtualization.

·   This host appears to be running in a virtual machine with VHV disabled. Ensure that VHV is enabled in the virtual machine configuration file.

·   VMware ESX does not support the user level monitor on this host.

·   Module 'MonitorMode' power on failed.

·   Failed to start the virtual machine.

Thanks for any help or advice

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Virtualization Technology should be enabled in the BIOS of the host machine.
From the ESXi VM vmware.log, it looks like VMware Workstation is still detecting Hyper-V enabled on the host machine.

Follow the information and instructions of the KB. Many people seem to be miss the steps involving the bcedit followed by a restart.

Th gpedit step in the KB is on the assumption the host machine is not a member of an AD domain. If it is a member of an AD domain, you need to talk to your domain admin as VBS/memory integrity can be enforced via AD domain policy.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Nested virtualisation (running VMs inside a VM or have WSL2 inside a Windows VM) in VMware Workstation requires that the VM on Workstation have the "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" box checked/enabled. This is the equivalent of a physical machine BIOS/UEFI of Intel VT-x/AMD-SVM enabled.

If the Windows 10/11 host has Hyper-V enabled, nested virtualisation will not work with Workstation Pro. That is the meaning of the "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform".

Make sure you have Hyper-V removed from the host so that nested virtualisation will work.
Follow the steps in this KB
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361

Also make sure that Memory Integrity is OFF
Windows Security -> Device Security -> Core Isolation details

If your Windows host is a member of an AD domain, items such as Memory Integrity/VBS can also be enforced via domain policy. If that is the case you need to contact your domain admin.

When Hyper-V is detected, you will see these lines in the vmware.log

<timestamp> In(05) vmx IOPL_Init: Hyper-V detected by CPUID
<timestamp> In(05) vmx Monitor Mode: ULM

Once Hyper-V is no longer detected, vmware.log Monitor Mode should show as CPL0, and nested virtualisation should work (with the Virtualize Intel VT-x in the VM processor settings enabled).

iqworks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bluefire, Thanks for your detailed information, it helps a lot. i will be trying the link you sent as well as other information you mentioned. i will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
iqworks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Bluefire. sorry it took so long. Here is how i set things up according to what i saw in your suggestion. I think i missed something?? thanks for taking time to look at my screen shots as well. 

I have my windows 10 BIOS intel virtualization technology checked (should this be enabled??) 
ESXi virtulization 0.png

I have the "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" box checked/enabled for my ESXi 7.
ESXi virtulization 1.png

I have Hyper-v for windows 10 unchecked.
ESXi virtulization 2.png

If the Windows 10/11 host has Hyper-V enabled, nested virtualisation will not work with Workstation Pro. That is the meaning of the "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform".

Make sure you have Hyper-V removed from the host so that nested virtualisation will work ???.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361

Is this what you are reffering to?

Process to turn off virtualization-based Security:

Below steps can be followed to turn off virtualization-based Security for Windows 10 Home & Pro:

For Microsoft Windows 10 Pro & above:

1. Edit group policy (gpedit)
  2. Go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System
  3. Double Click on Device Guard on the right hand side to open.
  4. Double Click on "Turn On Virtualization Security" to open a new window
  5. It would be "Not Configured", Select "Disable" and click "Ok"
  6. Close the Group Policy Editor.
  7. Restart the system

Memory Integrity is a feature inside a broader set of protections called Core Isolation. It uses hardware virtualisation to protect sensitive processes from infection. These features are a subset of virtualisation-based security features that Microsoft has offered to enterprise users since Windows 10 shipped.Mar 9, 2020

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2020/03/09/microsoft-turn-off-memory-integrity-if-its-causing-probl...

This is the current state of my Memory Intefrity
ESXi virtulization 3.png 

If your Windows host is a member of an AD domain, items such as Memory Integrity/VBS can also be enforced via domain policy. If that is the case you need to contact your domain admin.

Once Hyper-V is no longer detected, vmware.log Monitor Mode should show as CPL0, and nested virtualisation should work (with the Virtualize Intel VT-x in the VM processor settings enabled).

With the above settings, I get this when I power on my ESXi.
ESXi virtulization 5.png

In my ESXi log, I see

2022-01-18T16:34:11.659Z In(05) vmx IOPL_Init: Hyper-V detected by CPUID

2022-01-18T16:34:11.777Z In(05) vmx Monitor Mode: ULM

Once Hyper-V is no longer detected, vmware.log Monitor Mode should show as CPL0, and nested virtualisation should work (with the Virtualize Intel VT-x in the VM processor settings enabled) ???

thanks for your suggestions and advice

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Virtualization Technology should be enabled in the BIOS of the host machine.
From the ESXi VM vmware.log, it looks like VMware Workstation is still detecting Hyper-V enabled on the host machine.

Follow the information and instructions of the KB. Many people seem to be miss the steps involving the bcedit followed by a restart.

Th gpedit step in the KB is on the assumption the host machine is not a member of an AD domain. If it is a member of an AD domain, you need to talk to your domain admin as VBS/memory integrity can be enforced via AD domain policy.

0 Kudos
iqworks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Bluefire, thanks for the further information. i am looking at

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361  more closely and am researching and will apply the instructions. Playing with the registry scares me :-). will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
iqworks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

bluefirestorm (Champion), thanks so much. The link " https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361" worked great !! I dont get those visualization related error messages in ESXi, and, i upload a security onion VM and it powered on without the visualization messages as well. 

Thanks again. My next issue is to mirror in / outgoing packets to my security onion. I saw several examples, but I will make another forum post for that to see the latest best way to do this.

You were VERY helpful   

0 Kudos
JBDell20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. I had vmworkstation 17 with my ESXI VM which powers up, but the VM inside my ESXi is getting error below. I have this setup on my other laptop and it works fine with all of these steps. The only difference is that I cant enable Virtualization Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI and Virtualize IOMMU or the ESXi wont boot up. I need those checked to run the VM in ESXi DDVE down below. Not sure what the difference is?

Key

haTask-1-vim.VirtualMachine.powerOn-56

Description

Power On this virtual machine

Virtual machine:

ddve

State

Failed - This host does not support Intel VT-x.

Errors

• This host does not support Intel VT-x.
  • This host does not support "Intel EPT" hardware assisted MMU virtualization.
  • This host appears to be running in a virtual machine with VHV disabled. Ensure that VHV is enabled in the virtual machine configuration file.
  • VMware ESX does not support the user level monitor on this host.
  • Module 'MonitorMode' power on failed.
  • Failed to start the virtual machine.
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@JBDell20 You probably still have some vestige of Hyper-V still enabled in your host because of this message:

• VMware ESX does not support the user level monitor on this host.

Please check the vmware.log file for your VM and confirm that the Monitor mode is CPL0, not ULM. If it's ULM. that means you've still got Hyper-V components in use and you need to take all the steps that are posted by @iqworks until you find that the monitor mode is CPL0.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos