VMware Communities
Gimpeh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Detecting wireless networks - VMWare Workstation 7.1.0

Greetings!

I am running Windows 7 64-bit and a Windows 7 32-bit VM. I have a Verizon USB broadband/Wifi card and when using the host machine, this USB adapter picks up on wireless networks. However, on the VM there are no networks detected. The broadband card does in fact use the internal wireless NIC (Intel Wifi Link 5300) and I have the appropriate connection bridged to that NIC. Is there something I am doing wrong or could somebody point me in the right direction? I've been pulling my hair out for days and I'm afraid I don't have much left.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you want WiFi in the VM itself then you need to use a USB WiFi Network Adapter installed in the VM meaning you have to supply it since regardless of what the Host has VMware only present a Wired Network Adapter. As far as the Host having WiFi the Guest can have Internet/Network Connectivity through that if configured properly.

As far as my Verizon USB WiFi Broadband Modem I've used it both connected directly to a VM and having the VM's Network Adapter configured as NAT when the Verizon USB WiFi Broadband Modem is connected to the Host.

I don't know which model Verizon USB WiFi Broadband Modem you have or what Software you have installed for it but one thing I noticed from the Host is the default install created a Profile in which it did not allow the Host's NIC's to interact with it and I have to create a Custom Profile in order to allow the Host's Host's NIC's to interact with it. That may not be the same for you however I though I'd mention it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Some connection types such as pppoe do not work using bridged networking it's usually a limitation to the connection type. Try changing the network to NAT and see if you can get it working that way.

Gimpeh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your input, AndrewPainter. It turns out because the VM doesn't see the wireless NIC in Device Manager, the broadband card will not pick up on the access points being broadcast. So now my question is this: I have not yet found a way for my VM's to pick up any wireless networks, and the wireless NIC does not show up in Device Manager. I have been told it is possible to gain wireless connectivity but I haven't found any definitive processes. Could someone point me where that might be on the website?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you want WiFi in the VM itself then you need to use a USB WiFi Network Adapter installed in the VM meaning you have to supply it since regardless of what the Host has VMware only present a Wired Network Adapter. As far as the Host having WiFi the Guest can have Internet/Network Connectivity through that if configured properly.

As far as my Verizon USB WiFi Broadband Modem I've used it both connected directly to a VM and having the VM's Network Adapter configured as NAT when the Verizon USB WiFi Broadband Modem is connected to the Host.

I don't know which model Verizon USB WiFi Broadband Modem you have or what Software you have installed for it but one thing I noticed from the Host is the default install created a Profile in which it did not allow the Host's NIC's to interact with it and I have to create a Custom Profile in order to allow the Host's Host's NIC's to interact with it. That may not be the same for you however I though I'd mention it.

0 Kudos
Gimpeh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, WoodyZ! The thing we are trying to do here is to have the host connected to the internal network and the VM connected to the guest wireless network. I think we will need to look into USB WiFi adapters. Thank you for your time and effort Smiley Happy

0 Kudos