VMware Communities
ade01
Contributor
Contributor

DVD writer not recognising or burning DVDs since installing Workstation 6.5

Hi,

I recently installed VMWare Workstation 6.5 on my PC ( Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, 4Gb RAM, Dual Core 2.40Ghz CPU, Samsung DVDR R/W dual layer ).

Everything seemed OK, but I have since discovered that my Samsung DVD writer will no longer burn DVD`s or read DVD`s. It seems fine with CD`s though.

Last night I uninstalled VMWare 6.5 and the DVD functionality returned. I then reinstalled Workstation 6.5 and the DVD drive still seemed to work.

However, since rebooting the system I have now lost DVD read/burn capabilities again.

I upgraded the firmware of the drive from SB02 to SB06, this has made no difference.

I also looked at this article here : but it didnt seem to help.

Its obviously something to do with VMWare, but I dont really want to keep uninstalling it everytime I need to burn or read a DVD.

I did notice on my first installation of Workstation a pop up box appear that mentioned my DVD drive and it seemed to be making changes to the drivers. Subsequent (re)installs do not seem to do this though.

Any help greatly appreciated

BTW, I noticed a thread elsewhere with a similar problem and someone mentioned that reinstalling the ASPI drivers fixed their problem. After some Googling, I found out that Vista does not need ASPI drivers ( apparently ) so that probably wont help me!

Ade

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mokk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Have you start any VM on your workstation? because i know that sometimes the DVD is bound to the VM and then doesn't work anymore on the physical machine.

To resolve the problem you can try to disconnect the DVD Drive in the VM settings.

Hope it'll help.

0 Kudos
ade01
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is permanent and makes no difference if VMWare is running or not. I have also removed the DVD/CD drive from all VMWare Virtual PC`s and this has not helped!

I`m sure VMWare must change something with the drivers for the DVD drive, or, at least, it definately gets in the way somehow. Its as if VMWare forces it to become a standard CD RW as opposed to a DVD RW.

The minute I remove VMWare and reboot , everything is fine again.

Re-installing VMWare and rebooting causes the drive to go wonky again.

0 Kudos
ade01
Contributor
Contributor

Bump.

No VMWare employees out there willing to comment then?

Would be nice to get some support.

0 Kudos