VMware Communities
jtevans
Contributor
Contributor

For Info: Error 1406. Could not write value StartFields to key ....

Starting with V5.5.3 update, I have had trouble installing the update which fails with

"Error 1406. Could not write value StartFields to key \SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Workstation\Dormant\License.220.ws.4.0. "

If you click ignore, you will complete the installation but no valid licence ( / license) will be found.

My XP machine is a member of an old fashioned NT domain and I install as a member of (Domain) Administrators. However the VMWare Inc hive in the registry is not writeable by SYSTEM or my user Id.

The solution is to "regedit" (taking the usual precautions), select the LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMWare Inc tree, right click and choose permissions. Set the permissions for the logged in user and for SYSTEM to "Full Control". Find the failing dialog box and click "Retry" and installation should complete successfully.

It is necessary to do this each time the VM software is updated.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Have you tried running the installer as the Local Admin on the box, instead of a user in the Domain Admins group?

0 Kudos
jtevans
Contributor
Contributor

Yes - same problem

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

If you set the permissions to Full Control on LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMWare Inc tree. There should be not reason that this would change in the future, unless someone runs regedit and changes it back or deletes the key

0 Kudos
jtevans
Contributor
Contributor

OK, if you allow the installer to remove the previous instance does it delete the tree?

This could be why this has started happening with recent updates as I believe previously I used to remove the old version first myself and, as I remember, choose an option to leave the folder and license information in place.

The sequence on this very long morning was:

Try to install 5.5.4 over 5.5.3 - it removes 5.5.3 then fails.

..Long gap while I tried various things to do with the domain controller

Try to install 5.5.4 as local administrator. - it failed

Try to install 5.5.3 - it fails - change the permissions and continue - it succeeds.

Run 5.5.4 installer and allow it to remove 5.5.3 - 5.5.4 install fails and the hive is again not writeable. Change the permissions and 5.5.4 succeeds.

Time wasted about 4 hours - hence the note here a) for me next time I update and b) in case I can save anyone else the same pain.

I use Workstation to provide a service not as a mental exercise in computer maintenance.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

"Windows Installer error 1406 occurs when installing software"

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

"Windows Installer error 1406 occurs when installing software"

0 Kudos
godkat
Contributor
Contributor

run

regedit.exe

find (you can export it at first to make a backup copy) and delete the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VMware, Inc.

if you have a 64bit system, or probably:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.

if 32bit (I have only a 64bit system).

that key will be recreated by vmware workstation installer

0 Kudos
fabrix77
Contributor
Contributor

I have solved installation error 1406 in many PC where I have tried to install vmware workstation 6.5.1 with upgrade of Windows installer to version 4.5. (KB942288)

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d0...

Sorry for my bad English.

Good luck!

0 Kudos