VMware Communities
alankeny
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting to VMware Workstation Server

I'm interested in running a few virtual machines on a larger desktop machine and managing them remotely from a laptop.  VMware Workstation Server seems to be what I need.  I don't really need to run virtual macines on my laptop.  Can Player connect to Workstation Server or do I need two licenses of Workstation 8.0?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - You could that but that is really not what workstation is designed for - I would recommend taking a look at the free version of ESXi (as long as you big workstation can support it) - but if your want use workstation in this fashion you would only need a single license - you would mange it using the remote desltop client to connect to the machine running VMware Workstation or the individual virtual machines -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
alankeny
Contributor
Contributor

I should have mentioned that the laptop and the desktop are running Linux, and most of the guests will be Linux too.  I forgot that VMware doesn't offer managment tools for anything other than Winodws.  I'll just stick with VirtualBox and PHPVirtualBox for now.  It does what I need without adding extra Windows instances I really don't want to deal with.

0 Kudos