VMware Communities
mizzouece
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot copy/paste or drag/drop between XP host and Vista VM

I just installed Workstation 6.5.0 on an XP Pro SP3 host, and then I created a Vista Enterprise SP1 VM. The Vista VM has VmWare Tools installed. With the Vista VM running, I select the Vista VM in Workstation, I open Workstation's "VM" menu, select the "Settings..." option. Then, on the "Virtual Machine Settings" dialog I select the "Options" tab, and then I select the "Guest Isolation" setting. In the "Guest Isolation" group I check the options "Enable drag and drop" and "Enable copy and paste", and click on the dialog's "OK" button. (See the attached file: GuestIsolationSettings.JPG)

With these settings selected I cannot copy and paste text (or anything else) between the XP host and the Vista VM. Nor can I drag-and-drop files between the two.

(I also tried checking the "Enable VMCI" checkbox on the "VM Settings >> Options >> Guest Isolation" settings group, but that doesn't resolve the problem.)

Is there something else I need to do to make these tasks work?

Jim

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You cannot change these settings while the VM is running. Power off the guest OS and VM, then change the settings.

0 Kudos