VMware Communities
xedgex
Contributor
Contributor

Visual Effects (Ubuntu / Mint) with Workstation 6.5

I can't seem to be able to enable Visual Effects within Mint 5 (Elyssa), I keep getting the following error;

Desktop effects could not be enabled

The VM is set to use DX9c and match the host resolution. Does anyone know a way to enable effects so that compiz and others work as well?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
xedgex
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare tools are installed, all OS updates are done also.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What guest OS? What workstation version?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Compiz isn't supported in a linux guest yet. Sorry ... but DirectX acceleration is windows only.

VMware is very secretive about possible hardware acceleration on openGL... which I hope means that they are working on it..

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
xedgex
Contributor
Contributor

linuxmint 5.0 which is basically ubuntu

Workstation 6.5

Host is vista x64 with nvidia 8800 gpu

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Well, since *nix guests don't support DirectX, you're not going to be able to enable the Direct3D graphics in those guests.

0 Kudos
xedgex
Contributor
Contributor

I understand that DirectX is not for *nix systems, but since a guest Win OS can display DX9 visuals I dont see why linux effects can't be enabled, hence my original question.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Because, currently (and VMware will not talk about potential future features) VMware products support 3d graphics ONLY via DirectX/Direct3D ONLY in Windows 2000 and higher guest OS's, that's why.