VMware Communities
julian_sun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can anyone confirm whether vista host can go to sleep when vmware workstation is running?

I posted a question on my vista machine not going to sleep when vmware is running. I did not get any answers.

Now I like to ask differently. Can anybody confirm or disconfirm that your vista machine goes to sleep when vmware is running. Please list your vista edition and vmware workstation version. Please also note whether VMware is running any active guest OSes. In my case, even if vmware is not running any guest OS, the machine won't go to sleep when sleep time expires. Strange enough - if you just click through "Start"->...->"Sleep" menu, the machine will sleep just fine, even if vmware is running some guest OSes.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidLowe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Chuck, I'm using Vista Business SP1 with VMware Workstation 6.5.2 and it goes to sleep without a problem with or without a vm running.

Are you setting up the sleep time through Control Panel > Power Options then setting it to that power plan, or are you using some sort of freeware Vista shutdown/sleep timer app?

Dave

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
julian_sun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Come on. I know there has to be a lot of people running vmware on vista. Can you please just give me a yes or no answer on whether your vista can go to sleep or not when vmware is running. These it is so hard to know whether something is a feature or bug.

What about vmware folks here? Can I get definitive answer from vmware for my paid software product?

0 Kudos
dazone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My Vista x64 PC goes to sleep just fine with Vmware 6.5.1 running. Just upgraded to Windows 7 x64.

Chuck

DavidLowe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Chuck, I'm using Vista Business SP1 with VMware Workstation 6.5.2 and it goes to sleep without a problem with or without a vm running.

Are you setting up the sleep time through Control Panel > Power Options then setting it to that power plan, or are you using some sort of freeware Vista shutdown/sleep timer app?

Dave

0 Kudos
julian_sun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Chunk. What is your vista edition? Home, business or ultimate?

Also, I like to make sure your machine is going to sleep when time expires, not through clicking through the Start -> ... -> Sleep menu items.

0 Kudos
julian_sun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Dave, Good to know.

I have set up my machine using Control Panel / Power options.

I searched around internet. Vista has a GPO called "Turn on applications to prevent sleep transition". It has the following definition:

Turn on applications to prevent sleep transition: If you enable this policy, an application or service can prevent the system from going into hybrid sleep, standby, or hibernate.

I wonder if vmware workstation by default is preventing VIsta from going to sleep and somehow my home edition has this GPO turned on. Maybe on your machine this GPO is turned off?

It appears for Home edition one cannot modify GPO (Group Policy Oxx?). sigh

0 Kudos
DavidLowe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Chuck, I have the GPOs but they are all in the default ' Not Configured' state so they will not make any difference on my machine's power settings. Since you can't change GPOs for Vista Home, yours would just be in the same state as a GPO being 'Not Configured', so it's the same as mine.

Dave

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

In order for the host to go into sleep mode, your guest will have to go to sleep first.

Did you set the guest to go into suspend/hibernate mode after the required time out?

--

Wil

VI-Toolkit & scripts wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
julian_sun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No. My guest OS does not go to sleep.

However, I don't think host going sleep is related to guest OS going to sleep. You can manually go to sleep by clicking thourhg "Startup/...." menu items.

In addition, my problem is that my vista host won't go to sleep only if vmware is running and even if there is no guest OS runing

0 Kudos
chirapol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I still have the same problem. Does anyone find the solution?

Thanks.

0 Kudos