VMware Communities
jpost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bridged network adapter can not get past the host

Hello,

I am having a problem with Bridge Networking. I am running VMWare Workstation 6, although I had the same problem with 5. When I set the nic to be bridged, the only thing I can get to is the ip address of the host nic. I can not get beyond the host nic onto the network. This happens if I use DHCP or I assign a static IP address. For testing I have turned off the windows firewall. Same result.

Host OS Windows XP SP2

Guest OS Windows XP SP2

If I set the adapter to NAT, it works fine. When I set the adapter to bridged, the only ip address I can connect to (I am using ping to test this with ip addresses, not host names so it is not a DNS issue.) is the host OS ip address.

Any help would be appreciated. Is there supposed to be a VMWare bridge service installed in the services control panel, or was that only for older versions of the product?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you on a coporate network? If so, is there some sort of port-level security set up on the switch?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you on a coporate network? If so, is there some sort of port-level security set up on the switch?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Jeff

If this is a home environment and your do not have a router between your ISP and host, your ISP may not allow network traffic from more than one IP / MAC address.

If a business environment you may want to check on port restrictions

0 Kudos
jpost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I checked on this today. Cisco's macro's set the mac address limit to 1. Changing that corrected the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

0 Kudos