VMware Communities
abramq
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bluescreen when booting WinSrv2008r2 recovered from windows backup image to virtual machine

Hello,

At the begining everything seems to go nice:

- create new VM

- booting Windows Server 2008 instalation disk on that VM

- choose "Repair system" and point backup image file (full backup - made with standard Windows backup tool)

- system recovered succesfully!

But then, when rebooting that fresh recovered system - Windows start booting normally - and suddenly there is bluescreen with error 0x0000007b

In my humble opinion this first initiated boot of recovered system is trying to writhe something in special part of disk and it can't (because it is a virtual disk?)

Is it possible to recover system from classic windows server image file to virtual?

Thanks in advance for all voices 🙂

Greetings,

RA

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

the error message is related to the VM's boot controller, which is different from the one of the original system, and its drivers are not loaded in Windows. What you may try is to use the free VMware Converter and run the "Configure Machine" option, which should inject the required drivers into the VM. Prior to doing this, please ensure that the Windows 2008 VM has the default controller "LSI Logic SAS" configured in its settings.

André

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JoaoCastro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This error occurred because Windows dont find a boot device, check if backup restore does not corrupt the boot partition in your VM.

Best Regards,

Joao Castro

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

the error message is related to the VM's boot controller, which is different from the one of the original system, and its drivers are not loaded in Windows. What you may try is to use the free VMware Converter and run the "Configure Machine" option, which should inject the required drivers into the VM. Prior to doing this, please ensure that the Windows 2008 VM has the default controller "LSI Logic SAS" configured in its settings.

André

abramq
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot! Operation with VMware Converter helped! I only did "configure machine" there, left checked only "reconfigure destination virtual machine" and... it works!

Thanks once more.

Maybe one day it will be not necessary to do such operation, I belive in WMware developers 🙂

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... I belive in WMware developers 🙂

This will only help if these developers move to Microsoft ;-)))

André

0 Kudos