VMware Communities
ricko
Contributor
Contributor

vmware player on Windows 7 Host-only Networking

All,

I have player  3.1.4 installed on my laptop which is running windows 7.

I have a vm machine installed on player that requires a static address. But as you know with a laptop I frequently move from network to network but still need to access the app I have on my vm machine.

I am setup for host-only and I need to access my app through a browser on my host machine. So since my host machine is sitting on another network I can't get my browser to connect to the vm machine...

Any ideas on how I am setup wrong or how to remedy this?

Host Machine -

10.116.x.x

VM Machine (within player) 192.168.1.80

host-only subnet is

192.168.1.0/24 which is within the ip range for the vm machine I am trying to browse to..

I am also using vmnetcfg.exe

Any ideas are appreciated

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I am setup for host-only and I need to access my app through a browser on my host machine. So since my host machine is sitting on another network I can't get my browser to connect to the vm machine...

What do you mean the Host is siting on another network?  That's a rhetorical question so no need to answer it.

If you've installed VMware Player and have not modified the defaults then you have a Multihomed System meaning, if applicable, not only are you on the Physical LAN the Host is connected to you also can directly connect to a Virtual Machine from the Host on either the NAT and or Host Only Networks too.

VM Machine (within player) 192.168.1.80

Then the Host should have a Virtual Network Adapter at 192.168.1.1 and if you have things properly configured then there is no reason you cannot access the Guest from the Host in a Browser at 192.168.1.80.  So if you cannot then you do not have something outside of VMware Player itself not properly configured.  If you have to temporarily disable all Firewalls, AntiVirus and other Security Software on both Host and Guest and use appropriate tools to verify the necessary ports on the Guest are open then this is what you should do to troubleshoot the issue.

Basically you need to act just as if you were dealing with two physical machines trying to do the same thing and act accordingly.

ricko
Contributor
Contributor

yep everything is as you say it is and should be configured

here is the output of my laptop ipconfig,

The vm machine within player has an address assigned of 192.168.1.80 255.255.255.0

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.111.1
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

0 Kudos
ricko
Contributor
Contributor

ok, so I went as far as to uninstall player and reinstall..still no work and it doesn't matter what network type I use host, bridge etc..

So then I  unisntale dplayer and installe work station...still no go...

Anyone have any help they could point me to...I have ALL security turned off on my laptop. I can get anyhwere with my laptop except any vm machine I create...

This is rather perpelexing

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

What OS is installed on the Guest and what Application is running on the Guest and what Port are you trying to connect to?

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm still on Windows XP (where networking works), however maybe the issue is caused by an incorrect network identification.Take a look at VMWare VMNET Adapters Triggering Public Profile for Windows Firewall  to see if this can help.

André

0 Kudos
ricko
Contributor
Contributor

red hat  enterprise Linux 4

The application is connected to through HTTPS

I run this same application on my esxi server and connect to it fine thorugh https...

Just trying to go portable wit it because I can't always carry my server around...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Not counting the uninstalling/reinstalling what actual diagnostic tools and steps have you taken to troubleshoot the issue?  Is the required port open on the Guest, usually 443 for HTTPS.  Can the Host and Guest ping each other?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

(where networking works)

Are you trying to infer that Networking with Virtual Machines does not work under Windows 7?  I have no networking problems with VMware Workstation or VMware Player under Windows 7.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Are you trying to infer that Networking with Virtual Machines does not work under Windows 7?

No, definitely not. I only wanted to express that I saw a lot less issues with virtual networking in Windows XP and for most of them, the issue was sitting in front of the keyboard Smiley Wink

André

0 Kudos
YLeduc1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So if I understand well, you have a VM running an https service and you are trying to access it from your host. You are configured using host-only.

From your host, can you ping your VM using it's ip address.

If you obtain a reply then you know that you have at least connectivity. If you don't. Do the following from the host.

arp -d *

ping  your vm

arp -a

if you see, an arp entry for your vm ip address but don't get a reply then you have a firewall on your vm otherwise you have a communication issue between the 2.

Assuming that you can ping your VM. Get to your VM to check if your VM is listening on https.

in a command prompt,

netstat -a

this should give you all the ports that your VM is listening. you should see on a line stating as listening, either 443 or https.

Report your results and let's go from there.

Regards.

0 Kudos
ricko
Contributor
Contributor

The host and trhe guest cannot ping each other...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Is SELinux enabled or disabled on the Guest?

0 Kudos
ricko
Contributor
Contributor

FYI...

It all works now..sometimes you just need to step away..

The guest machine (linux) is set to auto negotiate, once I changed to full 100 it al worked fine ....strange but thanks for all the help...

0 Kudos