VMware Communities
mstjohn1974
Contributor
Contributor

vmware player 3.1.3 won't display guest OS

Hello folks,

I installed vmware player 3.1.3 and try to install a guest OS and every single time I build a vm and fire it up ...it's not displaying the guest OS. It's only displaying my background picture at this spot nothing else. Anyidea what the problem might be? My Host OS is Ubuntu 10.04LTS with 4GB of RAM.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi and welcome

do you use any obscure Window-manager ?

can you show a screenshot of the error message or blank screen ?

does the VM create a new vmware.log when you try to start it ?

did you get any errors when compilung the modules ?

0 Kudos
mstjohn1974
Contributor
Contributor

No I am not using any obscure windows manager everything is default ubuntu 10.04LTS. I've attached a screenshot and the vmware.log. It appears that it created a new log file each time. I am still trying to install the guest OS....I am not seeing a POST or anything else for that matter.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Your VM is misconfigured in several ways - not sure if this is the problem though.

First of all - create a blank textfile in the path specified by this message:
[msg.dictionary.load.openFailed] Cannot open file "/home/msj/.vmware/dndlogs/dndlog.conf": No such file or directory.i

Second: remove the floppy-drive - or set it to start disconnected

Third: do you need thinprint ? try to disable it - otherwise you may need to start the VM as root.

please report results.

Plan B -: try a special way of launching VMware so that it uses a different GTK library then usual.

Forgot the command at the moment - something with ...ship-gtk ... whatever

0 Kudos
KATODO
Contributor
Contributor

i resolved this by remove .vmware directory in my home and restart the application. i also changed to a clear Window-manager

0 Kudos