VMware Communities
sc01983
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

unable to load hypervisor due to OVF. OVF to VMX

Hi I am trying to load a version of Websohere hypervisor which is a ovf format but it isnt working and I keep getting this error....

" did not pass OVF specification conformance or virtual hardware compliance checks.

Click Retry to relax OVF specification and virtual hardware compliance checks and try the import again, or click Cancel to cancel the import. If you retry the import, you might not be able to use the virtual machine in VMware Player."

My understanding was that I needed to convert the ovf to vmx!

I ve tried using the ovf tool to convert to .vmx but that also isnt working. I get the following error when trying to convert....

"Error: Failed to open OVF descriptor"

If anyone could shed some light that would be great,

thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hope you have all the files required to deploy a OVF.

You need to have  .OVF, .VMKD and  .MF files to deploy a OVF package.

If you have all these files and still facing a problem please paste a screenshot.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hope you have all the files required to deploy a OVF.

You need to have  .OVF, .VMKD and  .MF files to deploy a OVF package.

If you have all these files and still facing a problem please paste a screenshot.

Abhilash B

0 Kudos
sc01983
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for that, I still had 1 tar file which I hadn't extracted containing .VKMD

Working now thanks for your help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mcaserhn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I am encountering familiar problem, here is my screenshots (all are Chinese, sorry Smiley Happy)

files under OVF folder, not missing one file

OVF folder.PNG

the error when importing OVF, the meaning of Chinese is 'The import failed because .ovf did not pass the OVF specification conformance or virtual hardware compliance checks'

import OVF error.PNG

so please help me out!

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Where was this machine? Was this running on any other platform before? Like Oracke Virtual Box? Or was it downloaded from Internet?

Do you get an option Retry with lower specifications? Can you try it? If you are exporting it from elsewhere i suggest you to try .ova instead of .ovf.

Abhilash B

0 Kudos
mcaserhn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This machine is on ESXi platform now, not from Internet. I want to export it to OVF, and migrate to a new PC with workstation 10

I tried to click retry, but 'Fail to open descriptor' popped up

I am about to try .ova, and get back to you with result

Thanks for taking a look

0 Kudos
mcaserhn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is a strange thing,

I tried importing same OVF on my laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad X240), there was no error (only aborted because no enough HDD on laptop)

But there was error on new PC, PC is Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p)

is there any change that different hardware model cause the error just happening on M93p instead of X240?

0 Kudos
mcaserhn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

another confused thing:

I am importing OVF right now into PC running with W2003

there are 2 PCs, runs W7 and W2003, before I tried on PC with W7, error, now I am trying on PC with W2003, it seems OK

could different OS make such big differenc?

0 Kudos
mcaserhn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, latest update:Migration is Ok now.

Background is OVF is exported from ESXi platform, workstation is on Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p with Windows 2003

Question remained: Why is it Ok on W2003 PC instead of W7 PC? PC's hardware are same, only different OS, that's all

0 Kudos