VMware Communities
HardyX
Contributor
Contributor

Which "Windows Features" are needed (on Windows 10) for the "Workstation Player v17"

After having experienced really heavy lags of my Windows 10 OS (10.0.19044) when 
running some Windows VM with the new Workstation Player v17  I tried to reconfigure
some of the "Windows Features" in order to get this fixed. Now, after disabling the
two features:

• Virtual Machine Platform

• Windows Hypervisor Platform

the Workstation Player is completely unusable as booting of a "Windows 7" VM
takes like 15 minutes and then it continues to be virtually none-responsive.
Note: The entry "Hyper-V" was and is inactive anyway.

When I tried to understand which windows features need to be enabled and/or
disabled in order to have a performant Workstation Player VM without interfering
too much with the performance of my host, I could not find the relevant information.

So my question is, which of the "Windows Features" should be enabled - or disabled
in order to achieve my above mentiond goal (if possible at all...)   

Any advice or comments would be appreciated!

Windows FeaturesWindows Features

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

If you did all of that and still see the following in the vmware.log file for your VM:

Monitor Mode: ULM

workstation is still trying to run under Hyper-V and not the VMware hypervisor. You have not completely disabled Hyper-V even though it's listed as not installed.

Did you completely turn off Hyper-V by running

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

in an elevated command line prompt?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
HardyX
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Technogeezer!
Thanks for your comments and explanations!

I should have been more precise in my question as I did not explain clearly that I did NOT enable
the three entries marked with the red arrows. My settings are currently exactly as shown in the screenshot. 

With these setting, the VM does start but is extremely slow (like 10-20 times slower than normal).
The vmware.log file shows the entry:  2023-06-19T08:01:48.665Z In(05) vmx Monitor Mode: CPL0

Also I am wondering if the VM "Hardware" settings with respect to the "Processors" entries need
to be adjusted - possibly depending on the related "Windows Feature" settings...

The image below shows my current VM Hardware setting:

image.png

I am grateful for every hint/tip...

0 Kudos