VMware Communities
Nordqvist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VmPlayer Network adapter question

Hi!

I'm kind of new to Vmplayer and have some trouble setting up the network adapters i my player.

On my computer I have several network connections(LAN, wireless, VPN's and so on) and i'm going nuts on how to setup these to my VmPlayer.

What I want but can't get to work are that my connections on my host computer are "mapped"(maybe copied are the right word for this?) to the virtual machine.

I've tried using Bridged but somehow it always take just one of my network connections(usually the one with internet connection), can't get the other options to work either.

Is there some way you could "mapp" all of the host's connections to the guest?

I'm not a network guru so if someone have the time I would love to learn the difference between the different setups in VmPlayer network tab.

Thanks in advance!

/Johan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Run the VMware Network Configuration utility (as admin).

Select the checkbox for "automatically bridge network adapters" and unselect it.

Then, for VMnet0, select one of your physical NICs... Repeat using unused VMnets for any additional physical NICs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Is there some way you could "mapp" all of the host's connections to the guest?

Do you really want or have to do this?

In my case, my host is connected to intranet via VPN and I need to use other VPN programs to connect to my clients' networks.  So, you can imagine that these VPNs may have conflicts with each other or simply cancel the other VPN.  So, my solution is to build a VM with NAT to the host for the Internet access only and set up/use a different VPN program on the VM from the one on the host, which is for my intranet.

As you can see, my guests don't have all/the same network connections as my host.  But, it works perfectly for me.

0 Kudos
Nordqvist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi and thanks for the quick answer.

I've tried the NAT functionality now but how do I know which connection on the host it redirects to?

I shall try to explain what I would like to have,

I work in the industry-sector and usually when I'm out on sites mostly of the time the equipment I've to connect to have static IP-addresses and are on private networks with only "dumb" switch so therefore I've to set at static IP-address on my computers LAN-port to access the equipment with the programs they require.

Idly I would like to have a network adapter pointing to  my host WiFi connection and another one to my LAN connection for the static address.

How would you done this setup? is it possibly? Best would be if I could set the Static IP-address on my guest cause there is where I set the path in the programeditors to the equipments.

Your setup sounds sound and I think I'll copy it for the use of my VPN connections!Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Disable automatic bridging.  Select one of your physical NICs for VMnet0, then one one of the other unused VMnets (2-7, 9), specify other physical NICs. 

Then in your VM settings, select Custom, and point to the appropriate VMnet for your desired physical NIC.

0 Kudos
Nordqvist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi and thanks for answering!

What do you mean by "Disable auto-bridging, Select one of your physical NICs for VMnet0"?

Where do I do this?

In my machine settings I've the following settings, can you maybe explain more in detail?

pastedImage_2.png

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Run the VMware Network Configuration utility (as admin).

Select the checkbox for "automatically bridge network adapters" and unselect it.

Then, for VMnet0, select one of your physical NICs... Repeat using unused VMnets for any additional physical NICs.

0 Kudos
Nordqvist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

I don't seem to have this "VMware Network Configuration Utility" on my computer, is it some standalone installer?

I only have VMplayer 12 installed.

Tried to google it but cant find anything for VMplayer 12.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Oh, you have Player, not the full Workstation.  Gotcha.  I'll move to the Player forum.

Search through that forum for instructions on how to obtain/extract the utility from the Workstation setup package.

Nordqvist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help RDPetruska, finally solved it!

Sorry for posting in the wrong section...

Had to install VM workstation pro V12(it automatically uninstall VMplayer).

Copy vmnetcfg.exe from "program (X64)" and store it somewhere else.

Uninstall workstations.

Install VMplayer.

Copy vmnetcfg.exe to VMplayer folder under "program (X64)".

Then I just followed your earlier tip, Done! :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Ahh, glad that worked for you.

And it's understandable about the wrong forum since they changed the product names with this most recent version.

0 Kudos