VMware Communities
VMWWS_user
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare palyer that does not need installation

I have a USB key big enough for my Linux image. I normally have VMWare player on the key too so that I can play my image when I can get my hands on a PC. But VMWare player need to be installed first. Installation is not always possible because I may not have admin or root authority on the PC.

I heard some one mentioned about standalone VMWare player 4 being available. I think that is what iI need ,if standalone really means no installation needed. This will allow me to play my image on any PC. I downloaded the VMWare player 4 from the official site, but it still needs installation. I may be getting it from the wrong URL. Can some one point me to the right one

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Player needs to be installed in order to use it, period! Smiley Sad

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Player needs to be installed in order to use it, period! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
brmovem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi VMWWS_user!

Check this out

http://portableapps.com/node/712

People from PortableApps commented the same idea as yours.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The closest you can get is to create a LiveCD with Player/Workstation installed.  See Ulli's pages for information - http://sanbarrow.com/moa.html

0 Kudos
brmovem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's just an idea, but what if to use something like Live USB Linux distros?

Which have tech to save your work progress.

Like Puppy Linux, for example?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

brmovem wrote:

Hi VMWWS_user!

Check this out

http://portableapps.com/node/712

People from PortableApps commented the same idea as yours.

First of all the comment on the linked page are nearly 5 years old and secondly does not change what I've already said... "VMware Player needs to be installed in order to use it, period! Smiley Sad"  This of course is also true with a Live CD mentioned by RDPetruska, it has to be installed/integrated into the image the Live CD is made from although there after one can boot a system with the Live CD and use it.  However in the context of normal usage, it has to be installed in order to use it!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

brmovem wrote:

It's just an idea, but what if to use something like Live USB Linux distros?

Which have tech to save your work progress.

Like Puppy Linux, for example?

Other then USB 3.0, previous versions of USB in general is somewhat slow for use with running Virtual Machines however it is doable and is IMO more flexible then using a Live CD in that you can have everything you need on the USB drive and just boot the system from the USB drive and if the BIOS doesn't allow for it you can always use the Plop Boot Manager to get around a BIOS USB boot limitation.

0 Kudos
brmovem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, it's old, I see now.

I'll try to find some other newer source for this idea...

0 Kudos
brmovem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Woodyz!

Thank you for the info about Plop.

It's very interesting thing.

Have you ever used it?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

brmovem wrote:

Yes, it's old, I see now.

I'll try to find some other newer source for this idea...

There is no need to find additional source as the question has already been answered!  At the present time VMware Played requires installation/integration with the Host OS in order to run a Virtual Machine with all expected resources and vmplayer.exe is not a standalone executable!  What do you not understand with what RDPetruska and I have already said on this subject?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you ever used it?

Yes, I use it on a regular basis, with both physical and virtual machines.

0 Kudos
VMWWS_user
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

I'll look into suggestions such as booting Linux from USB key or portable apps.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMWWS_user wrote: or portable apps.

The information provided by brmovem re portable apps is totally irrelevant to the issue of running VMware Player because it cannot be run as a portable app!!!  So don't bother wasting your time in this direction!

VMWWS_user
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ., thanks a lot for the  advice

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMplayer can be used as a quasi-portable app.

You need to "speed-install" it with a batch - this is only possible if you execute it as admin.
"speed-uninstall" after use is possible as well

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ulli Hankeln wrote:

VMplayer can be used as a quasi-portable app.

You need to "speed-install" it with a batch - this is only possible if you execute it as admin.
"speed-uninstall" after use is possible as well

This does not change the previous statement I've made "VMware Player needs to be installed in order to use it, period!" and "VMware Played requires installation/integration with the Host OS in  order to run a Virtual Machine with all expected resources and  vmplayer.exe is not a standalone executable!"

The OP also stated "Installation is not always possible because I may not have admin or root authority on the PC." so "speed-install" isn't really a viable option that covers all bases.

@VMWWS_user  Based on the information you presented in your OP, my suggestion is for you to build out a Linux install on your USB Drive, install VMware Player normally and then place your Virtual Machine on it.  Next burn the Plop Boot Manager to CD and keep it with you with the USB Drive.  Then when you are using someone else's computer, (a Guest Host System), if it has the capability to directly boot USB then just boot the Linux install and run your Virtual Machine or if need be boot the computer with the Plop Boot Manager and let it boot the USB Drive and then run your Virtual Machine.

What I've suggested is IMO the best use case scenario and enables you to have what you want and also protects the Guest Host System, (the computer you are booting the USB Drive from), as its HDD does not need to be mounted and thus protects the content and you have not modified the Guest Host System in any way and have your own physical Linux install running from your USB Drive and VMware Player already installed and the ability to run your Virtual Machine(s) at will while on the go. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos