VMware Communities
androidtemplar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation 12 Player 12.5.7 build-5813279 is filled with errors

My guest (Xubuntu 14.04 LTS) has been working just fine for a year or so. I made the mistake of updating VMWare Workstation player. Results, I am losing time and money. Some details:

1) When booting, a complaint of "power/on script did not run successfully"

2) When shutting the guest, a complaint of corresponding VMWare Tools -script failing

3) clipboard between guest and host does not work

4) the automatic screen scaling on host when re-sizing guest VMWarePlayer UI window also no longer works.

Effectively, this build has screwed up my work environment quite totally. What was the added value of this update, I wonder?

NoPowerOn.png

NoPowerOff.png

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
androidtemplar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solution: uninstall open-vm-tools (I had to use the "purge" -option, "remove" still left something behind and installation attempts of VMWare tools failed), install the *VMWare version* of VMWare-tools - after that, all of the above problems go away and everything works.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
androidtemplar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My host is Windows 10

My next questions are:

- have others experienced the same?

- is there an easy way of rolling back the installation to a previous build of VMWare Workstation 12 player?

0 Kudos
androidtemplar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rollback to previous build did not help, neither did re-installing of VMWare tools in guest.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Problems 3) and 4) are VMware Tools issues.

Most likely the same also counts for problems 1) and 2).

Are you updating/installing VMware Tools by hand?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
androidtemplar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

uninstall->re-install open-vm-tools, apparently recommended by VMWare instead of the from player provided version...no fix. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
androidtemplar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found a previous comment by you, will now try the VMWare provided tools. If that fails...Hyper-V? :smileysilly:

vmware tools vs. open vm tools? linux

0 Kudos
androidtemplar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solution: uninstall open-vm-tools (I had to use the "purge" -option, "remove" still left something behind and installation attempts of VMWare tools failed), install the *VMWare version* of VMWare-tools - after that, all of the above problems go away and everything works.

wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes open-vm-tools just is not there yet, especially not on earlier ubuntu releases.

Guess I will have to retest that again one of these days.

Glad to hear you managed to resolve the issue.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos