VMware Communities
moontear
Contributor
Contributor

System Configuration: Run a 32Bit XP on Intel Celeron 450?

Hello,

I'm planning to migrate an existing system to a VMWare Image via VMware Converter onto a new computer.

The old system is a AMD Duron 800MHz with 512MB RAM, running Windows XP with an SQL Server and some old MS Access database - the system is running smoothly as it is.

I am not sure now whether a Intel Celeron 450 (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35239) is enough to run the new system (Windows 7) and the VM. I am also not sure whether I need Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) - or would I only need it if I have a 32Bit Host and want to run a 64Bit VM?

Also I'm struggling with the amount fo RAM. The old system would run fine with about 400MB of RAM - the host will only run Internet Explorer and probably Outlook. So I'm thinking 1GB RAM should be anough, better would be 2GB with Windows 7 Aero activated.

Would be good if someone could give me advice - especially about the processor, whether I can go with the "cheap" Celeron instead of a more expensive brother like E3300.

Thanks,

moon

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

I am also not sure whether I need Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) - or would I only need it if I have a 32Bit Host and want to run

a 64Bit VM?

You need Intel-VT whenever you want to run a 64 bit guest.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
moontear
Contributor
Contributor

Good thing about Intel VT, I still would love to know about the expected performance.

0 Kudos
moontear
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanting to give the update: The performance of VMWare on the system is perfect. Couldn't be any faster.

0 Kudos