VMware Communities
mohsinkhanshuvo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it illegal or prohibited to do office work in installed OS on a Vmware player?

As far as I know, Vmware is free for personal use. I am just a little curious. Most of the time, I need to work in a Linux environment. I was wondering if I could install Linux in Vmware Player and do development work in my office, like app development or software development. I do not plan to host any service to let my company earn from it; I just do my work. So would it be illegal or prohibited to do so? 

Apologies if this is already answered; I just could not find it.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I’m not a legal expert, so this is just an opinion.

My view is that if you were to earn money from doing what you are doing inside the VM then it wouldn’t be classed as “personal use”, so if you are doing that development work as a hobby then you are fine, but if you sell what you develop then that is not fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I’m not a legal expert, so this is just an opinion.

My view is that if you were to earn money from doing what you are doing inside the VM then it wouldn’t be classed as “personal use”, so if you are doing that development work as a hobby then you are fine, but if you sell what you develop then that is not fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog